chaning from vista to xp pro in a laptop? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
nev
Junior Techie

Default chaning from vista to xp pro in a laptop?

Hey guys,
I bought a compaq presario T-2330 laptop from bestbuy today and its got 1.7GHz, 120GB HD space and 1GB ram. The problem is that it runs on windows vista and the salesman from bestbuy told me that if I change it to wondows xp pro, a lot of stuff wont work. I'm thinking that that isnt true.

Vista eats a ton of ram....which sucks

If I wanted to change the whole OS from vista to XP pro, how would I do it?
Thanks
Nev

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: chaning from vista to xp pro in a laptop?

Some of the new drivers are Vista specific from some manufactures.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

first off you can do it because you can usually find a driver for most anything.

with that being said, it is a ***** to do. so first off i would say write down all the devices you will need to get drivers for, and get all the drivers before hand and put them on a fd or a cd and that way you can get up and running in under a few hours.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I was talking about the OEM official drivers.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

oh yeah, official drivers yes, but when there's a will theres a way and usually the manufacturer will have xp drivers for their stuff.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I don't know thats a lot of work for all that might want to spend a little more on extra memory instead of reformatting and doing a clean install. Side not though I have a gig orf ram in my laptop running vista and it seems to do fairly well, no problems as of yet.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce

Take a look around. I lucked out when I downgraded from Vista to XP Pro SP2 and I found that somebody had uploaded an entire zip file of every driver I needed specifically for those users with this laptop that wanted to downgrade. Perhaps you could find something like that, too.

However, you may just be stuck finding out each piece of hardware you have and going to the manufacturer's site looking for the drivers. It can be tedious... but I thought it was worth it.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Kubel

Assuming you bought a Presario C700T which is their only model that ships exclusively with a T2330, you will have to do a little digging to find the proper drivers, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I suggest resizing your current partition to make room for an XP partition, and dual boot. That way, if it takes you a few weeks to find all the drivers and get them working smoothly, you won't be stuck with a partially working laptop.

Then spend some time Googling. Like Jayce said, the community is where you need to look because the manufacturer won't help you.

And one more thing, Vista doesn't eat a ton of RAM. It may look like it is hogging up nearly all your memory because of SuperFetch. Microsoft figures that unused RAM is wasted RAM, so it pre-loads things it thinks you will use so they start up faster. All modern operating systems do this to some degree, and Microsoft does it fairly aggressively in Vista. So it's not really something to worry too much about. Whether you have 512MB or 4GB, Vista will want to find a use for all of if. I do suggest, though, that you upgrade to 2GB, regardless of whether you decide to use Vista or XP.

Good luck!
~Romans 1:16
Old 01-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
nev
Junior Techie

Thanks for the responses, guys! I'm not a big tech guy and it seems like downgrading to XP pro is going to be a pain. I guess I'll just upgrade the ram to 2GB. The guy from Best Buy told me that the memory stick will cost $30 but will cost $40 to fit it! I've installed memory sticks in desktops before,...is it different in a laptop?

Thanks
Nev
Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You can find drivers from the HP website:
Notebook PCs*