Beep, Beep thats all folks - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Beep, Beep thats all folks

Ok, the other day my girlfriends brother gave me a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop. He said he couldn't get windows to boot up, all it did was start to load and after a few seconds it would start running CHKDSK with a blue screen, but once it got to step 3 it would say it was complete, but wouldn't go any further or boot windows up.

So yesterday I decided to mess with it, and it did what he said it did. So I tried to booted it into SAFEMODE and it wouldn't. So I restarted it and pressed ESC and ran a Hard Drive Self Test and got an 07 FAIL. After that I restarted it, and all I got was a black screen then it made a loud BEEP sound fallowed by a REALLY LOUD BEEP, then it did nothing.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: Beep, Beep thats all folks

Probably a bad harddrive.

Youd better hope they had their information backed up...

What you can try is hooking it up to another PC as slave and see if you can get any data off of it, but they will likely need a new harddrive and OS.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That's what i thought, just wanted a second opinion before I bought anything.

One more question: The computer was made/sold in 2004 by the sticker on the underside. So what HD should I go with? I found a site sells refurbished ones for the laptop, but i don't know if i want to go with a refurbished one.

The one in it is:
-Seagate
-60GB
-4200 Speed
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

You don't have to replace it with the exact same drive, if it's an IDE drive, get any IDE laptop drive and use that. Since it was made in 04 it most likely doesn't have an SATA drive. You can find IDE drives on Newegg (Parallel ATA, also known as just ATA, have a 40 pin connector with a few extra pins for power and config jumpers). It doesn't have to be Seagate and a 5400RPM drive would be faster than a 4200 one.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks!

Should I go ahead and go for a 80GB or just stay with 60GB? I won't be running any games on this machine. I'm thinking about running Ubuntu Linux 7.10 on this laptop. I will probably only be doing normal internet tasks (checking mail - surfing the web).
Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ubuntu runs well on only 20GB lol, but if you can get an 80GB for not a whole lot more than 60, why not? 80GB will be good if you decide to put music, pictures, or video on the PC. I strongly recommend using Ubuntu 8.04 though, 7.10 is outdated and won't be supported much longer while 8.04 is the current version and is a LTS (long term support) release.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Get whatever size drive you can afford. I'm suprised you were able to find a 60.

Newegg.com - ATA-6, Laptop Hard Drives, Hard Drives, Computer Hardware