Attempting to prolong laptops life - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Attempting to prolong laptops life

Okay I am trying to elongate the life of my Dell Latitude C510/C610. The problem is that it keeps powering off in a manner I can't seem to lock down. The battery has been dead for a long time. So I run it off AC power, it seems like if I move it it powers off, it has become so touchy i basically am afraid to move it. I think the problem has to be the connection of the power cord to the power input. I guess what I don't know is, what if anything can I do about it?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Attempting to prolong laptops life

As you thought, perhaps the power cable is damaged (maybe there's a break somewhere inside the cable), in which case a new power supply should fix the problem.

Another possibility is that the power socket on your laptop is damaged. Take a close look and see if any metal contacts are loose. If this is the case, then the solution would be to replace the motherboard (which is costly), or resolder a new power socket onto the motherboard (which is difficult).

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Putting the X in Sapper

There is a very good chance the power port on your laptop is damaged. If you are skilled in soldering this is no problem, I wasn't when this happened to me. I had this exact situation and ended up dropping $500 on a new motherboard since eventually the port went completely out.
My Current PC-
Intel Q6600 G0 |Western Digital 250gb HD
Seagate 500gb HD | Western Digital 500gb HD | VisionTek HD4870 | 4gb Cruical Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800
850w Thermaltake PSU | Cooler Master Centurian 590 | 2x Dell 22" LCD

-900HA EEE pc
Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the prompt reply guys! @sapper: I don't think I'm brave enough to take a soldering iron to my laptop, perhaps when/if I get a backup I guess in the mean-time I'll just be ultra-gentle with it.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Just for the heck of it try another AC adapter.
Closed Thread