ASUS N61JQ-A1 vs MSI GX640

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So I've narrowed my laptop shopping down to two models:

NCIX.com - Buy MSI GX640-260US Intel Core i5 450M 4GB 500GB 15.4IN WSXGA+ Radeon HD5850 Windows 7 Premium Notebook - GX640-260US In Canada.
or
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS N61JQ-A1 Core i7 720 Quad Core Radeon 5730 1GB 500GB 4GB 16IN HD LED WIN7 Home Premium Notebook - N61JQ-A1 In Canada.

MSI is about an extra $150.00

i've read a few threads on them but I'm still undecided so I figured I'd let you guys weigh in with your votes. I do plan to use this as an everything laptop from every day word processing to some gaming. However, my gaming will pretty much be limited to SC2, LoL, HofN, and Diablo 3 when it finaly comes out. A couple of games a week essentially. Most of the time it will be for portable access around the house and the back yard.

From what I can gather the MSI is the better gamer (5850vs5730), the ASUS is the better all around (i7vsi5), more balanced laptop.

What concerns me is that there is no where locally I can see the MSI in person at, the ASUS I've tried in person and although the looks doesn't blow me over it is comfortable. I'm a bit worried that if I order the MSI I may not like the "feel" of it. Anyone have any first hand experience with this line of laptops?

So essentially, is the DDR5 of the 5850 worth the slightly smaller screen, lack of USB3 and extra weight?

I am leaning towards the MSI right now because of the vid card but I have a hard time buying a laptop I have not been able to try in person. It has me hesitating to pull the trigger.

Purchase has to be done by end of June to avoide a tax hike.

That 5730 looks better, actually. Personally, I would go with ASUS, but that's me. The feel is more important for some people than the package.

I would worry about Diablo 3. It's a new game. We can't yet say how it will work.

Yeah, that is my concern. I'm not a big gamer, in that I don't go and play every game on the market. I have my few that I stick to and play them a lot. SC2 will be one of those games, and so whould D3 be. I dont' want to upgrade this purchase is a year to two to meet that requirement.

The gaming is ultimately the priority here in that although I'll be mostly using it for other day to day needs, those needs aren't heavy on the cpu. No graphics rendering or anything like that. My desktop will manage my hd video and conversions, etc... so I'm back at the block where I thing the MSI is the better buy for my needs but at the same time it feels so wrong to buy a laptop sight unseen.

Anyone have any experience with this MSI or other similar models?

I do not have any experience with MSI, other than their motherboards, but I have worked with Toshiba. Some of the ~1,200 ones are gaming grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom