AMD or Intel dual Core and which brand laptop? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default AMD or Intel dual Core and which brand laptop?

Hi im looking at getting a new laptop, I was looking at HP, Toshiba, and Dell. What is a better chip AMD or the Intel Dual Core and what is the difference if any? The HP's and Toshibas are really cheap at circuit city and Best buy, where as people tell me the dells break down a lot. Any advice would be great. IM looking at 2gb ram and 240GB harddrive. Also is there a way to have both XP and vista operating systems?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: AMD or Intel dual Core and which brand laptop?

AMD and Intel CPUs are both perform around the same for the price but Intel CPUs have faster models than AMD currently.

I recommend Asus laptops but there aren't a lot models and configurations.

You can dual boot Vista and XP but you'll need to purchase both. (buy whatever doesn't come with the laptop)

Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Vinsanity

Send a message via AIM to BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

only advantage Intel has over AMD is overclocking, which you can't do on a laptop, let alone the laptop cpu's are different from desktop cpu's. So both would make great choices.

By the way i don't really recommend dual booting on a laptop., they aren't really made for it and it kills the battery quick, just ask my cousin lol.
-Buffalo 2x1gb ddr2 800
-Hitachi 250gb Sata HDD
-Antec Minuet Case w/ 350w psu
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Old 01-06-2008, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
By the way i don't really recommend dual booting on a laptop., they aren't really made for it and it kills the battery quick, just ask my cousin lol.
there is absolutely no truth to that. having two operating systems on one computer does not make it use more power.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok thanks...Now how about what brand? My GF got a toshiba a few months ago and she likes it, nothing wrong with it so far. I was also looking at Dell and HP, but i hear dells break down a lot. How are the Hp's?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

HP's are good. toshiba's are a ***** to take apart if you need to clean it or get to something on the inside other then ram/battery/wifi card. i have a toshiba atm and have no problems with it, other then the lack of support for xp which is a given, but i work around that.

basically with laptops, what you should do is to a store (bb or cc) and test out some different models of Hp, dell, toshiba and see which one you like the best in terms of looks, feel ( each can have a different feeling keyboard) and look for different features and just pick out which one you like the best. also watch out for the weight of it, cause if you intend on going places with it, carrying around a 8-10lbs laptop can get really old really fast.

if you do get it from a store, unless you know 100% how to work your way out of any sort of software/hardware jam and are always extremely careful with it, as in it rarely leaves the house, GET THE WARRANTY THEY OFFER!!!
it is the best thing you can do if you are not uber tech savy. if you have a problem what ever it is, no matter how stupid it is, as long as you didn't stab it with a kitchen knife or something, then they will take it, and fix it no questions asked and at no cost to you.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i have always been a Toshiba man myself and currently own two Toshiba notebooks (they are rather old though ). generally though i wouldn't be too concerned about brand. find a laptop that has the features you want and at a price you wouldn't mind paying, then worry about the quality of the manufacturer.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to Vaanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL View Post
only advantage Intel has over AMD is overclocking
No, the C2D is better clock/watt, so it puts out less heat and the battery lasts longer in C2D lappys.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Vinsanity

Send a message via AIM to BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaanish View Post
No, the C2D is better clock/watt, so it puts out less heat and the battery lasts longer in C2D lappys.
depends which ones as welll, AMD has the "x2 BE" series which are really energy efficient.
-Buffalo 2x1gb ddr2 800
-Hitachi 250gb Sata HDD
-Antec Minuet Case w/ 350w psu
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Dell has great after service. My laptop lcd screen got this pink line and they fixed within 2 days. Make sure and get the best warranty, it helps! However, brand isnt inportant its whats inside. I'd go with AMD as they are cheaper and perform just as well. i'd also stick with one OS. My 9300 only had that pink line problem after 2.5 years, and that was the only problem. dell laptops are also very upgradeable, so look at that feature as well! I'd choose dell because of service and the performance i get!

128MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300
80GB Hard drive
Closed Thread