Xp Or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 64-bit processors kick ass now, but by the time we actually NEED them, I'm sure they will be out dated.

bandage_boy said:
The 64-bit processors kick ass now, but by the time we actually NEED them, I'm sure they will be out dated.

The only thing that is stopping me is that I want to max out my current technology before I step up to the next.

Athlon 64FX is going to be at the earliest a LATE 2005 purchase. More likely Chinese New Year in 2006.

Dont get what you mean by smoke.Bench marks are tight.There isnt a game out there thta push's any of the newer system's.Most folks are more worried about doing 2 or 3 thing's.The 32 bit would have stayed a long time.Is no real need for a 64 bit.

I really dont understand what intel is doing.Prescot wasnt released right. Was no real performance increase.The EE's are the star's but they cost so much.Some how intel see's something.I figured id see soem future tread with the release of prescot. Was none.Maybe with Grantsdale coming they will tip there hand more.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/prescott-13.html

the ee is way overpriced and dosent even beat the fx51,, though it is close and have seen benchmarks from different sources that say one wins and ones that say the other ,,even so,,,, even if we dont need 64 bit the fact remains that it is sill a faster chip and it is a good price when compaired to anything that can compete with it. take a look at the february pc world they are reliable benchmarks that show the advantages of the 64 bit chips and being able to have windos 64 in a coupple of months and the beta is allready showing about a 33% increase in performance over xp pro.

amd643200+ said:
the ee is way overpriced and dosent even beat the fx51,, though it is close and have seen benchmarks from different sources that say one wins and ones that say the other ,,even so,,,, even if we dont need 64 bit the fact remains that it is sill a faster chip and it is a good price when compaired to anything that can compete with it. take a look at the february pc world they are reliable benchmarks that show the advantages of the 64 bit chips and being able to have windos 64 in a coupple of months and the beta is allready showing about a 33% increase in performance over xp pro.

The P4EE has had a consistant, though quite slight, performance advantage on most benchmarks over the FX-51. But I would sacrifice 100 nanoseconds off my Cinema 4D render time if it saved me a couple hundred bucks.

Bottom line: Get AMD. Get the Athlon 64 (its much, much better and only holds a very slight price premium over the Athlon XP - if you wallet allows, get it.). Be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom