wireless internet with wired router - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default wireless internet with wired router

I have a wired internet router hooked up to an xbox and a computer on the first floor of my house and i want to hook up internet to the upstairs computer. I cannot run an ethernet cable to the upstairs. I need to keep using the wired router I have which is a Microsoft MN-100. Is there a way to get wireless internet to the upstairs computer? Can I hook up some kind of wireless internet router to the existing wired router?

Old 05-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

dunno if getting another cable modem would work

cable out --> cat5--> modem --> xbox

Quote:
I don\'t play for fun, I play to win and winning is fun.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by diabloII
dunno if getting another cable modem would work

cable out --> cat5--> modem --> xbox

Another cable modem wouldnt work, I'm asking if i can hook up a wireless router to my wired router.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Or a wireless acess point could be used instead. But, it might be possible to yse a wireless router in conjunction with a wired router

See:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=53441

The other option... depending on how many wired computers you need... you could just use only the wireless router (if it supports both wireless and wired )
This would be easiest because then you don't have to wory about changing settings to get the two routers to communicate.

Spammers should all be collected on an island and forced to try and sell stuff to each other. They should not coexist with the rest of the world, they are the lowest form of life!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Yeah it's possible to used a wired router in conjunction with a wireless router.

However it's annoying, this morning I boot on my PC, and im getting 192.168.0.XXX IP's instead of 10.10.10.XXX IP's from the cisco router

The entire LAN started pulling IP's off the wireless router

In short: Get a wireless ascess point
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Did you dissable to DHCP function on the wireless router. This way the addressing wil come from the cisco router instead...

When you said that you were getting IPs of 192.168.0.XXX, was that on the wireless clients or the wired into the cisco?

REMEMBER to reserve the IP address of the wireless router onthe cisco... or things will get interneting

Another option, coming to think abt it is, have a wireless card in one computer, and bridge the wireless and wired together through that comp. This might work, but I do not know enough about the functons of the bridging (i.e. if it replicates the data packet for packet, or not as the case might be)

But, at ythe end of hte day... yes an access point would be the easiest

Spammers should all be collected on an island and forced to try and sell stuff to each other. They should not coexist with the rest of the world, they are the lowest form of life!
Closed Thread