Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadRacer

In Runtime
I'm not really sure where this should go, but I'll put it here. Anyways, anyone whope has a DS should know that the Wireless game play is now active, and you can get Mario Kart DS Monday. Well, I need to make a wireless access point for my DS. If I buy a USB adapter, will I be able to bridge that with my current connection? I am looking at buying a PCI wireless card, but I'm not sure if it will work (I hope it will), I'm pretty sure I can bridge that, but am not sure if the USB adapter will come up as a wireless connection and allow me to bridge.

Using XP pro it will work as long as windows (i'm assuming that is what you are using) can talk to the NIC - i.e the network connection shows up under network connections in the control panel. Most will allow for this - however i would recommend getting a pci card if you can. If not i know Netgear do one that will work, although i couldnt tell you the model number.

Also I believe you have to be using XP Pro to bridge connections, or at least i dont think XP Home will allow ICS (internet connection sharing) - if someone wants to verify this?

Windows also wants its IP address set at 192.168.0.1 in order to allow ICS - i dont know of any way around this (not saying there isn't one) but if you have a network set up with your router at 192.168.0.1 then it may take some reconfiguring.

I have a router, but may do away with it sometime soon. My router is set as 192.168.1.1 though, and Windows allows it. I know you can bridge connections in XP home, since I accidentally did it on my cousins' computer. I am looking at buying the PCI card from apsire, so I'll most likely be getting that instead of the USB, but I wanted to know just incase the deal fell through. Thanks.

Next Monday, I'm going to EB and buying Mario Kart DS, it's gonna be in my backpack befor I get to school so I can play all day during class....erm I mean my breaks.

If your router is set at 192.168.1.1 then there will be no conflict, that is fine. I was more concerned with whether XP home has internet connection sharing capabilities. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx does not say that it is restricted to xp pro, so you may well be fine - follow the link and give it a try (dont have to set it up, just check the box is there to check). But thinking about it i dont know whether any version of XP will allow for sharing of a wireless connection... If i were you i'd would recommend just getting a wireless router, it'll make things far simpler.

fitzjj said:
If your router is set at 192.168.1.1 then there will be no conflict, that is fine. I was more concerned with whether XP home has internet connection sharing capabilities. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx does not say that it is restricted to xp pro, so you may well be fine - follow the link and give it a try (dont have to set it up, just check the box is there to check). But thinking about it i dont know whether any version of XP will allow for sharing of a wireless connection... If i were you i'd would recommend just getting a wireless router, it'll make things far simpler.

And cost me another $30 that I don't have........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom