Why would you need 2x6800GT??? do they run "dual channel" - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Now i'm going to end this nagging and say lets agree to disagree on this for now
Yeah lol I was gonna read this last post of yours and basically say the same thing.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
True Techie

Fair enough - all i say is i support SLI

I've had this pc for a few years now and i think its time i made a big upgrade

Old 03-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

SLI will stick around, but the only reason I say this is now ATi has stupidly decided to start doubling up their cards now as well.

However, SLI, in my opinion, is only practical for business use for people who need to do a lot of rendering and other intensive graphic processes, who have the money to dish out for it. The same can be said for dual/quad Opterons/Xeons, sure they're gonna stick around, but they're only practical for hardcore servers and no home user in their right mind would waste money on that. I don't think I will ever recommend SLI/multiple CPUs for any consumer, ever.
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 03-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

that's only to compete with Nvidia's SLI though
Old 03-28-2005, 06:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by gaara
SLI will stick around, but the only reason I say this is now ATi has stupidly decided to start doubling up their cards now as well.

However, SLI, in my opinion, is only practical for business use for people who need to do a lot of rendering and other intensive graphic processes, who have the money to dish out for it. The same can be said for dual/quad Opterons/Xeons, sure they're gonna stick around, but they're only practical for hardcore servers and no home user in their right mind would waste money on that. I don't think I will ever recommend SLI/multiple CPUs for any consumer, ever.
They don't generally release Xeon/Opteron servers to the public as we would have no use for them - for people who do graphic rendering and heavy gaming and use 3dmark then they are perfect - I think ATIs SLI won't be as good as Nvidias and they are just gonna rush out the first SLI cards they can so ATI fanboys will buy em
Old 03-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ok, what if you have too much money and you want something better than 6800Ultra, then you could use some dual, SLI stuff
Old 03-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

"Too much money" Yeah.....must be nice...I wouldn't have any clue as to what that'd feel like.

Honestly even if I was ridiculously rich, I'd probably get the 6800GT and OC the hell out of it of course with some awesome water cooling, mind you I'd probably have VapoChill on an FX-55 so water cooling would be solely for the Graphics card

1gb of RAM, and a couple 72gb raptors.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
True Techie

i dont think SLI will hit it out good

Unless they make games designed for this, which they wont (hope) thers no real use for it

so, u can get 2x 6800 Ultras cheap in a few years. by then 2 of these will still be worse than the single high end card
Old 03-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
"Too much money" Yeah.....must be nice...I wouldn't have any clue as to what that'd feel like.

Honestly even if I was ridiculously rich, I'd probably get the 6800GT and OC the hell out of it of course with some awesome water cooling, mind you I'd probably have VapoChill on an FX-55 so water cooling would be solely for the Graphics card

1gb of RAM, and a couple 72gb raptors.
ok, how about you have dual sli and overclock them too??
Old 03-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

you mean dual vid cards in SLI...there is no dual SLI har har just bustin balls.

No, I wouldn't bother would SLI even if I was rich. There are way too many buggy issues and more crap to worry about. More heat put into the whole computer too.

I'd much rather just get the single 6800GT and OC the hell out of it. And if I were rich I'd just send it to one of the xtremesystems members for them to do a volt mod for me (there are people there who will service your card for you for a small fee so It's not like I"m just saying IF I WERE RICH I COULD MAKE IT HAPPEN kind of deal )

Closed Thread