What use are tape drives nowadays? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default What use are tape drives nowadays?

Hopefully I posted this in the right forum. I ask this question because of all the more convenient storage media we have today: zip disks, memory sticks, USB pen drives, external media drives, network backup, DVD/CD burning hardware. Tape drives need to be accessed in a sequential read, all of this modern storage media can be accessed using random reads. The only use of tape storage media I can understand is if somebody has some tape backups they made years ago and they need to get at the data on them.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Some Tape media hold like 50gb, also they have a higher tolerance for re-use, you can write, erase, write, erase the data many times before the media fails.

INTEL i7 930
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
Old 08-15-2005, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to TheHeadFL

Tape drives are primarily used in enterprise environments.

Where I used to work, for instance, you could load a tape drive in the servers with maybe 14 different tapes. The tape drive was an autoloader, so it could automatically record to different internal tapes depending on what day of the week it was. You just change the cartridge once a week.
Desktop machine: 2 x Opteron 246, Asus K8N-DL, 2GB PC3200 ECC Reg., XFX GeForce 6600GT, 74gb WD Raptor, 2 x 19\" LCDs, Windows XP x64
Server machine: Intel P4 3.0GHz 2MB EM64T, ECS i865pe, 1GB PC3200, 36gb WD Raptor, Windows Server 2003
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 9100 (Intel P4 3.2GHz 1MB Prescott, i865pe, 512MB PC3200, Mobility Radeon 9700, DVD+R/DL Burner), Windows XP
Linux: P3 450Mhz, 386MB ram, Slackware 10.1 (Running mySQL/Apache)
Old 08-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Reliability, size and cost. They can store a great deal of data and used in a business they can be automated. Newer and faster technology is replacing them

For a home environment it is probably quickest and quite cheap to have a USB HDD to backup your C: onto and putting important files onto DVD-r etc.

It also depends upon the tape drive. I have a parallel port tape drive, Windows XP no longer supports P Port tape drives
If it wasn\'t for Electricians you would be using your computer by candle light

Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
2x512MB 400MHz DDR Dual Channel
Gigabyte X800XL - 256MB Mem
Maxtor Y160M0 - 160GB SATA
Maxtor 80GB PATA
Xaser III Case
Win XP Pro SP2
ViewSonic VX924 19\"LCD 4mS(ish)
Closed Thread