What is this? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default What is this?

I have this item (that I recieved once as a payment for some computer-stuff I traded) that I do not know what it is. I hope that on this forum I'll find someone to explain to me what this thing is and what it does. I hope I posted this in the right section.

So, ... this ( let's call it "device" ) apears to be an imaging-related device... apart from the "device" itself it has an external box with SCSI connectors for PC , and a pedal-switch. As I looked carefull at it it's operating mode eludes me as well as it's intended destination. It is made by SCANVIEW and apart from that I have no clue to what it is.
Any sugestion/guess/comment is welcomed.

Can somebody shed some light on it? What it is and what it does and if it is complete ( no missing accesories? ).

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Possibly a scanner or printer?

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Did you plug it in and fiddle with it?
Associates Degree in IS

A+ Certified

Studying for Network+
Old 08-18-2005, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, I did... I got from someone (for a brief time, unfortunately) a SCSI card and cable and pluged them in... The WindowsXP recognised it as a "scaner" device but couln't find/install appropiate drivers... so I got stuck - as I do not even know what It is I couldn't get drivers for it... However... it does not look like a scaner ... at least not as an "usual" scaner... thus I suppose it's possible it might be just a part from something "bigger". I do not know... I just hope I might find a person who deals with such devices on a regular basis , to shed some light on it.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Maybe a scanner and printer in one. As for the pedal looking thing...could possible be a charger for the printer as if you are on the road and plug it into your laptop, you use the pedal to keep the printer charged that way it doesn't use up all of your Laptops batter.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Looks to me like a fax/printer combo. What does the model type in the picture say? There are some words, but unable to read them. Give all details you can, I have the feeling its a fax printer, though. Give the details on the box and also on the device (any written info, that is.. stickers undreneath and what not that might have a s/n or part number or model number or product id, you get the idea.)
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 08-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Could be a scanner with a paper feeder to scan multiple documents ?
ASUS A7N8X-X mainboard
Athlon XP 3200+
1 GB Ram
120 GB HD (IDE)
250 GB HD (IDE)
128 MB Radeon 9800 PRO with custom H/S fan
8 x DVD Writer + DVD ROM
8 Meg ADSL (with ****ty ISP Bulldog)
Mystify Mamba mouse
And still ****ty fps in CS Source.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The pedal apeared to be something like an on/off switch,... when I pluged it into the computer while I kept the pedal pressed I could hear stuff moving inside.

As for what's written on it:

On the upper-left it says "ScanFlow Mounter" , on the Right , the blue logo says "Scanflow System" and the other "Scanview"

on upper-Right there are some status LED's .

On the bottom:

It says:
"Model no. Scan Flow Mounter
Serial no. ( some serial number )
ScanView A/S . Denmark "

It doesn't look like a printer though... not even a laser one...

Here's an "brightned" version of the first image where the device is more clearely visible...

Regardint the writings on it ... I've spend time google-searching various combinations of them and I could find almost nothing... just some scarce informations about Scanview company.

Giving the fact it is all made entierly of metal, and it's pedal switch I tend to assume it wasn't intended for home use and it's not a long run production item.

Closed Thread

« Dell | cpu »