Sticky keycap type problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Sticky keycap type problem

So, in recent, I have had a problem with my W and G keys on my mechanical keyboard (blue switches), a problem, which at first seems like your typical sticky key situation, where they register additional times occasionally or not register at all. So I go with the usual stuff, remove keycap, press down the switch a bit and use some compressed air on it and put back the cap. This sometimes works for a little bit, but a lot of times it does not. Now, after doing tedious test in word documents and such, I have concluded that the problem is NOT with the key switch itself, no, in fact it seems to be a problem with the key caps, as the only time when this problem seems to occur is when I actually have the keycap on the switch, which is most of the time sense just having an exposed switch around me does not seem like a good option (let's just say I now keep liquids away from my desk after an accident with a bowl of cereal). Now, because I have replaced the keycaps with others from an older keyboard I thought that this will be it. But unfortunately, as it goes, it was nothing more than a short-term solution to the problem. So I have taken it to tech forums to see if my fellow nerds can help me resolve this problem, because I just simply don't want to have to waste money on a new keyboard if this problem can be fixed.

PS: Yes I did encounter the problem while typing this, and yes it was annoying.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Sticky keycap type problem

I've dumped sticky liquids on my KB before, best solution it to strip it down and put all the plastic parts in the dishwasher. Be sure you put them into something that will keep the keys from floating all over the place and getting chewed up from the food grinder. (We have a latching silverware door) Also take a pic just in case you forget where your keys go.
Gently wash the membrane with mild soap if you have too but liquid shouldn't get that far and let everything dry for 24 hrs.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Sticky keycap type problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMD View Post
So, in recent, I have had a problem with my W and G keys on my mechanical keyboard (blue switches), a problem, which at first seems like your typical sticky key situation, where they register additional times occasionally or not register at all. So I go with the usual stuff, remove keycap, press down the switch a bit and use some compressed air on it and put back the cap. This sometimes works for a little bit, but a lot of times it does not. Now, after doing tedious test in word documents and such, I have concluded that the problem is NOT with the key switch itself, no, in fact it seems to be a problem with the key caps, as the only time when this problem seems to occur is when I actually have the keycap on the switch, which is most of the time sense just having an exposed switch around me does not seem like a good option (let's just say I now keep liquids away from my desk after an accident with a bowl of cereal). Now, because I have replaced the keycaps with others from an older keyboard I thought that this will be it. But unfortunately, as it goes, it was nothing more than a short-term solution to the problem. So I have taken it to tech forums to see if my fellow nerds can help me resolve this problem, because I just simply don't want to have to waste money on a new keyboard if this problem can be fixed.

PS: Yes I did encounter the problem while typing this, and yes it was annoying.
If you think it's the keycap...try swapping the key cap with another key to see if the one that was having issue starts working, and if the issues move over to the new key. If not...then you know it's the switch. Otherwise you know it's the keycap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Gently wash the membrane with mild soap if you have too but liquid shouldn't get that far and let everything dry for 24 hrs.
It's a mechanical keyboard.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboardproblem