SSD and TRIM Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Question SSD and TRIM Question

This problem/question is for my SSD Drive. I bought this one cheap, so it's the OEM Version. Installed it, and everything went great...but it didn't come with any software. So TRIM [whatever this is] is not working? Intel's site took the toolbox software down because the windows 7 problems, so I can't download it there either.

what does trim do? Will not having it slow down everything? When I searched for it it gave me something about degradation of performance without trim. why?

also...when I first installed the SSD Drive I may quick formatted it by mistake. [stupid check mark was checked and I didn't pay attention] is that a bad thing, even on a new drive?

I am asking this because I noticed that there is a huge difference in accessing files on the SSD compared to my cheap slow laptop. when it empty the recycle bin for example on my laptop it's almost instant. on the SSD computer it takes about 15 seconds before the "are you sure" window" pops up. Then it takes way too long to delete a couple of files. [not very large files either]

I know I sound paranoid but really...I know something isnt' right.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: SSD and TRIM Question

As I understand it, TRIM is just an indexing manager to help speed the process of pulling files off the drive. I have implemented SSDs in many machines without using TRIM and have not had the issues you describe. However, if you do not have too much data I would go ahead and do a full reformat on it not using the "quick" option.

The difference is this, the quick format does not "zero" out the drive. It just removes the start and end of each file string, making it appear as there is blank data.

The long format will completely "zero" out the drive. Usually a quick format will be fine, but occasionally will cause misc. issues.

To be safe I always use the long format, but have used the quick option many times and not had issues.

hope that helps!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: SSD and TRIM Question

yes that helps. Thanks much
I guess it's time to format AGAIN.

I have another question...but i'll put up a new thread AGAIN.

Closed Thread