Sony port replicator and VGA monitors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2003, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Sony port replicator and VGA monitors

Here's the sitch,

I have 2 laptops at work that are connected to Sony PCGA-PRF1A port replicators for external keyboard, mouse, lan, and monitor connections. The laptops are a Sony VAIO PCG-632L Pentium 3 and a PCG-GRX 500P Pentium 4. The keyboard, mouse, and lan all work great, no problems. However, every once in a while, especially after they have been out in the field, when the monitor is turned on and connected and the laptops are turned on, the VGA monitors screen is blank. The green/amber on/off light will go green indicating it has a live signal then goes back to amber. I have followed the Sony instructions for making sure that the correct video connection is set but it will take several tries before it lights up correctly. I don't believe it is a software problem as no software, or OS, is loaded at that moment. Anyone have similar problems like this, or a possible solution? Thanks goes out to any replies.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

u said that this happens every once in a while. How does it work again. Does it just start working after awhile. For Thinkpads there is a key combo that makes it switch between the laptop lcd and the dock monitor. Fn+F7 does this. Some times when i dock it does not pop up the monitor and i have to hit this key combo to make it switch back to the monitor. The think pad options that this switch acomplishes is LCD then CRT then LCD and CRT. Check and see if there is an option for switching screens it may not be an automatic process. Sorry i do not have much experience with the VIAO.

i am no lazier now than I was forty years ago, but that is because I reached the limit forty years ago. You can\'t go beyond possibility.
- Mark Twain
Old 11-21-2003, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply, yeah, the same combo key here (F7). I've tried both CRT alone and CRT + LCD. What happens is that it usually takes several tries before it catches. Once the laptops are connected, the monitor will work on all subsequent boots at first shot. It's really annoying to the girls that use them and I'm hoping I can find a solution soon.
Closed Thread