Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Monitors, Printers and Peripherals (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/)
-   -   REMOVING ATI Driver (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/removing-ati-driver-189512/)

StimulateSituate 10-31-2008 01:17 PM

REMOVING ATI Driver

okay after running into some micro stuttering problems with my graphics card, i have decided to try reinstalling my ATI r4850 driver.

But i am confused which file i am supposed to uninstall. Is it only ati catalyst install manager?? isnt there something else i gotta uninstall?

Also, i want to revert from directx 10 to directx9c how do i do that?

thanks buddies

Baez 10-31-2008 02:19 PM

Re: REMOVING ATI Driver

Well I'm assuming your using Vista here. You need to either use DriverCleaner Pro or go into your Device Manager and uninstall it manually there. Then install your new drivers.

StimulateSituate 10-31-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvb724 (Post 1494624)
Well I'm assuming your using Vista here. You need to either use DriverCleaner Pro or go into your Device Manager and uninstall it manually there. Then install your new drivers.

yes i am on vista.

is the driver catalyst control center?

KSoD 10-31-2008 02:29 PM

The Catalyst Uninstaller download from Guru3D.com

Use that.

Baez 10-31-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StimulateSituate (Post 1494625)
yes i am on vista.

is the driver catalyst control center?

No that comes with the driver but the CCC is more of an options tweaking program. The drivers are called Catalyst drivers.

StimulateSituate 10-31-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvb724 (Post 1494633)
No that comes with the driver but the CCC is more of an options tweaking program. The drivers are called Catalyst drivers.

now should the catalyst driver be located under "uninstall program" section? because i dont see a "catalyst driver" on the list

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mak213 (Post 1494632)

i was going to use this Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com .. do you think "catalyst uninstaller" is more reliable??

Baez 10-31-2008 02:49 PM

No only the CCC will be under programs. The driver will show up in Device Manager under display adapters. It will show the name of your card.

And either program will work fine.

StimulateSituate 10-31-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvb724 (Post 1494660)
No only the CCC will be under programs. The driver will show up in Device Manager under display adapters. It will show the name of your card.

And either program will work fine.

now what is more preferable? running the driver and program that is on the ATI site or running the driver and program that is on my gpu manufacturer site (MSI) ?