New Video Card Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2004, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default New Video Card Problem

I just recently bought a geXcube radeon 9600xtg to replace my old 3dfx card. I took out the 3dfx card and put my new card in. I uninstalled all of the 3dfx voodoo drivers and installed the ati drivers off of the cd. At the end of the installation it came up with an error that said "setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adaptor with a standard VGA driver before running setup." I pressed ok and it just seemed like it finsished the update. I then tried to play counter-strike and 15 seconds into the game it freezes and i have to restart. Please someone help me on how to get my video card to work.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

As the setup instructed u to do .. change ur display card driver to standard Vga .. restart the system .. Then install the drivers for the Ati Drivers .. U might hafta restart again ..
This should solve the problem

Screenshots of my Desktop.....Post ur\'s too :D

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thats the thing, i dont know how to set up standard vga. Ive tried pressing F8 at startup but i dont see where i can set up VGA. Do i need to uninstall my 9600xtg again to get it?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yes you do. Go in control panel, install/remove software and uninstall your video card driver and control panel.
Before you do this though, download and install direct 9X first then go to the ATI site and download the latest drivers (4.1). The package comes with your ATI control panel which will automatically install after the drivers have been installed.
The drivers you have on the installation cd are an older version.
My gaming machine:

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
Closed Thread