Need Help With Recovering Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

panlflzs

Solid State Member
Thanks in advance to all who reply. I have a 20 GB, Western Digital hard drive which I used as a back up hard drive. I had a Dell and used it with that computer. The dell broke and I built myself a new computer. I really need to get the files off of that hard drive but everything I have tried doesn't work. I have tried setting different jumper settings and different cables, even different computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will provide more details if needed.

Can you tell if the hard disk is working? Can you hear it spinning, getting warm, anything that indicates it is still functioning? Did you check that the molex power connector is firmly connected to it? When your computer boots up do you see that your hard disk is detected? It should be labeled something like WD200

It is running. I can feel the spinning and the power connector is on tight. When I hook it up to a slave connection on a computer I try the jumpers on it in cable select and slave mode. The drive is just not detected. When it is connected, the master drive usually isn't detected either. And yes it is labeled WD200

when your computer first boots up get into your BIOS setup by hitting DELETE or F8. Can you tell me if you see WD200 in the device list? Quit BIOS without making changes or saving changes. I am not sure if you are saying it is not detect under windows or under BIOS.

Another thing I suggest trying is either disconnect your other hard disk and try to get only your 20GB WD drive to work and than tranfer your files over network to another computer or burn them to CD, etc.

Or I can suggest seeing if your wd200 will be detected in another computer. Also can you tell me what the jumper setting is on the other hard disk? have you tried making the other disk slave and the wd200 master or vica versa? have you tried making them both cable select?

Could you tell me how to transfer the data over a network to another pc? I have tried both hard drives on cable select. The hard drive doesn't have an operating system on it. It was just used as a back up drive with a blank partition on it.

unhook you cd, dvd ide cables to the Motherboard run the second hard drive from that ide cable slot. it shoudl see it now. copy your files and take it back off and the cd drive back up again

this mayb a stupid ?... but was the WD200 formated under winxp(NTFS), and are u trying to get it detected under win98(Fat32)??

Actually it was formatted under NTFS and I am trying to read it through XP Pro, also NTFS. It still is not able to detect the drive when I put it on the secondary ide by itself.

control panel, admin tools, computer managment

set it as active

unhide it if you have partition magic

if that don't work
you might have to lose those files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom