Mouse cuts off intermittently - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ekÆsine: Dell techie just came out and installed a new mobo; still does it. She told me to do the same thing you did: install programs one by one after installing Windows. Imma give it a shot and will report back, and will report back if I ever find what proggie is causing this.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm... baffled.

Mouse problems occurred *immediately* after format/XP Install. So I took out all my PCI cards, replaced the video card with an old Geforce2, disconnected my CD drives and floppy drive, and tried it like that with one of my RAM chips taken out, tried this with each chip in each slot.

Same 'ol same 'ol.

The MX500 works fine in other computers, w/same mousepad. Freezes constantly on mine.

Funny thing is, I have an old PS/2 only ball mouse here I forgot about, and its working fine and not freezing here. Problem is, its a crappy 3 button uncomfortable piece of doodoo. Argh.

Absolutely baffling.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

sounds like it is the motherboard itself that is the problem
would you be prepared to buy a new motheroard to fix this?
Old 06-01-2004, 06:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, after having my motherboard replaced, the three button ps/2 ball mouse hasn't given me the problem for a few months... but the problem returned today.

It's weird... each new mouse I get goes for a few months before the problem starts to occur again. Formatting/fdisking hard drive hasn't helped either.

I'm beginning to think the problem is inherent in Dimension motherboards.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

what about debugging the harddrive? In the 32-bit dell diags off of your resource cd is the mouse pointer erratic also?

Closed Thread