Motherboard and network troubleshooting - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2004, 04:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Motherboard and network troubleshooting

Recently I had some sort of worm on my computer which was using a lot of cpu and other resources. After I removed the worm, my computer was a lot faster.

However, I can no longer connect to the internet. Windows XP shows that a Local Area Connection is enabled, but I cannot view webpages or download files, etc.

Before I removed the worm, my computer was really slow but it could still connect to the internet. A friend of mine says that there may be something wrong with the onboard lan on my Intel motherboard.

Can someone give me some general troubleshooting tips on how to determine what is wrong? Should I update the bios and reinstall the network drivers?

If all else fails, can I just install a network interface card? Or is my motherboard defective?

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

first, if you are using a cable modfem to connect to the internet, unplug the modem for 10 seconds, replug it in, let it reset itself (should take about a minute to minute and a 1/2), restart the computer. make sure you have "automatically detect proxy settings" enabled and then see if that works.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

it might have infected the drivers so try to reload them or download them. Also I realy doubt it but it might be your your card or motherboard (what ever your using)
Old 11-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

After reloading the drivers, remember to run your Network Setup Wizard again.

Closed Thread