Master/Slave IDE cable trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2005, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Master/Slave IDE cable trouble

I am having trouble installing a hard drive in conjunction with a DVD writer. Both are going to be installed in a new barebone cpu unit. I have the Maxtor hard drive set to be the master. And the Samsung Writemaster set to be the slave. However, when I power up the unit I can not get any power onto the DVD writer. But, whenever I unplug the IDE cable out of the DVD writer, it has power. I am referring to the DVD writer having power. I am unsure if the harddrive is receiving power in either instance.

Additional Info:

The barebone unit is manufactured by Shuttle. I have the IDE cable plugged into the blue port on the motherboard.

There is only one IDE cable being used.

The first IDE cable plug is plugged into the Maxtor HDD.

The second IDE cable plug (the one which extends from the first one) is plugged into the Samsung WriteMaster DVD writer.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Did you set the jumper pins correctly?

Old 07-31-2005, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

god ihad that same prblem one time, um.. what was it that fixed that are you sure you have the back of the dvd burner set to slave. it maybe the connection if possible try with another ide cable to see waht happens. Or also try if you have 2 IDE connections plug one in the hdd and the other in the dvd burner so both are master an see what happens this is the same thing that happen to me. good luck
Old 07-31-2005, 02:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I am pretty sure that I have the jumpers set correctly. I checked the diagram fifty million times to ensure this was the case. I will try to get my hands on another IDE cable to see what happens.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey Dark Sniper I just noticed that ypu pretty much have the same type of set up that I am going thru....I am going to try what you suggested as soon as I get back to where the cpu is being worked on in the morning.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

even if you can solve the problem only using one cable you should probably get another cable and run the dvd-burner on the second channel. don't ask why.... i really don't know but it just is. i think it is that optical drives on the primary channel interfere with the primary hdd
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you don’t think the guitar is cool, then you’re stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The funny thing is I don't even remember seeing a secondary port for the IDE cable. But then again it was late night. I called my friend where the cpu is located and he informed me that there is a cable that says Optical drive on resembles and IDE cable but it appears to be a bit smaller in width according to them. I will verify this once I arrive back over.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

you should use the seconday channel for the DVD burner for performance reasons, transfer times between the drive and burner will be better. Also, by the way, unless it was a special motherboard, I have not seen a motherboard with less then 2 IDE ports for a decade
If all you can see is Darkness Within the Light, You are blind to this world.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

If you're using a Shuttle SFF, you really need to spring for a round IDE cable.

Airflow in a SFF ain't the best. You need all the help you can get.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 07-31-2005, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'd put it on the other IDE channel, so you dont lower the throughput speed of the HDD.

If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread