Jumpy keyboard problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Jumpy keyboard problems

I've been refurbishing an older Dell and an older Gateway (P3 450-500Mz) and have run into an annoying problem. With a new hard drive and freshly installed Win98SE, everything works fine (startup, mouse, programs, etc.). However, the one thing that does not work correctly is the keyboard. It works but is very jumpy, skips letters, sometimes doubles a typed letter, is sometimes very slow to register a keystroke, sometimes SHIFT becomes locked, etc. Other than this problem the entire system works fine. I believe it's a problem with the board as it occurs in the bios with the hard drive disconntected. I have reset the CMOS, and can't find anything in the bios that would indicate this problem. The keyboard is a very standard ps2, ~2 years old, and works fine with my newer XP computer, and has worked fine with older computers in the past. Does anyone know what this problem is and if there is a fix for it. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to GrimReaper23

you got me just go out and buy the cheapest PS2 keyboard and use that see if that would fix it
Closed Thread