help choosing: MSI K8t NEo-FSR or Chaintech nforce3 250? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default help choosing: MSI K8t NEo-FSR or Chaintech nforce3 250?

I am building a new computer from scratch, and I am on a very tight budget. I am getting a socket 754 Athlon 64 3400+ (newcastle) and I would like to know which motherboard I should go with, MSI K8t Neo-Fsr or Chaintech NForce3 250? It has to be under $80 and these are the ones I've found with the best reviews. I know I should get a Socket 939 but I don't have the money, so don't bring it up. :P
I don't know entirely too much about motherboards so I just would like to know which would be the better buy? or if you could suggest a motherboard that would be better and still be really cheap that would be great,

Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Both motherboards seem to have very similar features. If i was going to purchase one of these boards, i would get the Chaintech NForce3 250. Basically it's cheaper at new egg.

I hope your build goes well.

Lian Li Aluminum Case
Intel D975XBXK2R Mobo
Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU
EVGA 8800 GTS Video Card
Corsair XMS 2 x 1gig RAM
Zalman 9500 CPU cooler
Old 02-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

I highly recommend getting a socket 939 since your builting something new, rather then upgrading. But for your original question, i would go with the MSI. But either are fine.
Finished With TF.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well the thing is, a lot of sites i've read have refered to the nforce3 250 as a second generation chipset, and the k8t800 as a first-generation. I'm wondering if there would be some sort of performance increase or if they are just talking about features? i've never heard of the chaintech board but i've heard lots of good things about the neo-fsr
Old 02-10-2005, 02:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I would suggest MSI as chaintech is somewhat iffy. I have their video card. First one had to be RMA'd and it took a couple attempts to contact them before they responded so their tech support is kinda of 'ehhhh'

MSI seems to be on the ball more.

If you can I'd suggest checking out some ABit boards. Really good stuff IMO
Old 02-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

I recomend trying a socket 939 approach, for even a few more dollars (20$) you can get PCI-E boards from DFI and the MSN Neo 2's
Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

How about a Gigabyte K8NS nforce3 250?

Closed Thread