a HDD or a MB failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I have put both drives, one at a time, onto a spare comp but neither drive will boot up (both have an OS on them), windows tells me that it has closed down to protect my system and tells me to run CHKDSK. I have done this but no joy. The CMOS does detect the drives though."

Operating systems will boot when they have been installed to a disk resident on the PC. In other words a hard disk with an OS cannot be simply installed in a different MB and run.
I am sure in the world of computing there will be an exception someplace but I did my best to help here.

I would install an operating system on a hdd resident in a pc and then install one of your disks as the second one to view it, not to run the OS from it. I hope this helps out.

Yeah the hard drisk is gonna have completely different drivers and whatnot. It might not boot to windows but if it works it should be recognized by the BIOS

Hello again and thnx for your help! this is the updated information that he gave me:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help here my friends.

I have tried fixboot & chkdsk /r plus fixmbr, but it did not change anything.

I now have progressed a little further and am getting a message saying
"0x0000007B Inaccessible Boot Device" if i set it to boot to this faulty drive.

I have DL a small app from maxtor that checks the drive, its results say the drive is fine?
I have searched the web for info on this Inaccessible Boot Device, but havn't been able to get any further.
Some good news thoughg...

If i set the drive as master (using the pins), it is not recognised by the CMOS. But if i set it as a slave, it is.
Then i am able to access the entire drive (HOORAY!!)

My only problem now is the lose of emails that i downloaded whilst away. I really need them.

I have now bought a new 120GB HD and am exploring a way of copying the entire drive across to the new one.
I just dont know if i will also be copying the bad boot record along with it.

I have heard of norton Ghost or a similar app that may be able to do this, but have not tried it yet.

If anyone has, then please let me know how you got on.
I will format the new drive then wait and see what else i can find out first.

In the meantime, i am using hirens boot disk to see if that can cure it.

Again, thanks to all who offered advice, it all helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i hope it is any good?

with best wishes
Tipsi

few things to consider. number one, the running configuration on the HDD are set to the fried system. when putting it as the boot device on you're other system, the CMOS saved setting gotten during the boot strap does NOT match what the running config is. Id just do this. DO NOT use the drives as primary. set them up as a slave drive, boot up with the normal HDD in you secondary computer, then access the HDD info that way.

oh you can try jumpering the MBD to clear NVRAM that way the CMOS will be forced to reconfigured its saved state, but I'd try slaving it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom