having problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default having problems

Hello, I am playing with a 1999 pionex computer that died. first the hard drive died so I put in a used one, then while trying to install windows98 the cd drive died, so I put one of those in, Then it started to install windows and stopped to run scan disk, It said something about missing or bad sectors, so I F disked it and formated it again and then it says something about memory problem, then it ended up with no moniter and it would just make a long beep and the power botton don't work, I have to unplug it to shut it down, Is the mother board dead now to?It has a M5ALA with AMD-K6-2/400AFQ. I am just learning computer stuff so don't get to technical on me lol. Thanks, TomW

Old 10-13-2003, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

Dude no offense, But ya need a new PC

ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 10-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

We have a new PC, I am just playing with the old one to try and learn about how things work. I got all the stuff used for real cheap so far, I won't put much money into it, like I said just a rainy day project. TomW
Old 10-14-2003, 06:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks microbell, The board is all the same as it came in the machine. I will check that out. Is it possible that the used hard drive I used has a virus in it and is causing all the problems? Or will Fdisk and format get rid of everything on the drive? Thanks, TomW
Old 10-14-2003, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I can't get it to do anything at all, When I turn things on the moniter clicks and the green light turns yellow and the screen is black. I tried holding delete and turning it on and still nothing. TomW
Old 02-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to biostarhater Send a message via Yahoo to biostarhater

First of all, I would definatley suggest just saying screw the darn thing.. The board sucks!

But if you're like me, you still want to find a way to do it if you can

So, I would first of all go to Biostar's Website- http://biostar.com.tw and download the manuals for your M5ALA board and make sure all your jumper settings are correct before you trash the board.

It is a possiblity you may have moved a jumper by accident.

Then I would make sure and test the current components you have connected to the board, including the power supply.

If none of this works I would suggest doing as many other people have and smashing this POS Biostar mofoin board into oblivion and learn from the lesson.

However if you get it to start up, make sure you download the newest bios flash from pionex's website and flash the bios.. it is the ala0820d.bin flash.. I would highly suggest this..

Good luck in your Biostar misadventures!

E
Old 02-05-2004, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Sounds like your PSU died and took the rest of the system with it. There's no other way all of those things could go at once, unless you had a freak electrical surge from a storm or something. I'd bet the computers dead.
ATI AIW 9700 Pro
120 GB Maxtor SATA
Lite-On 411S DVD+-R/RW
Logitech Elite Duo wireless KB/Mouse
Old 02-05-2004, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

RESET BIOS then
disconnect/remove all hardware (including RAM)from motherboard and reboot. It should at least take you to your POST.
If you still hear that beep, then MOBO/PSU kaput.
install 1 stick of RAM and HDD and reboot
If it doesn't work, replace RAM stick and retry
install CD-ROM

In other words, start with a clean slate and eliminate each component by installing them one at a time. This should take you to the faulty hardware. It is possible that a current surge from a storm etc.. caused a PSU spike or simply blew it which then blew up some of your other hardware.
DO NOT install suspected u/s hardware in another computer as it might burn up your other computer if a short exists in it.
DO NOT install new hardware in old computer until you are 100% sure that all problems have been found as again a short cct might scrap it.
If possible, work with known serviceable but obsolete parts.

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
Intel D865PERL MOBO
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Old 02-05-2004, 06:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

I replaced DIMM and HDD and now it works to the point of verifying DMI data pool.......... and sits there. can'y do anything with it after it gets this far. There is no OS on it, can't get it to go far enough to install. I have manual for board. How should HDD and CD rom be hooked up? I have HDD as master and CD as slave on primary slot of mother board. The old Packard Bell is set up with HDD on primary and CDrom on secondary cables. TomW
Old 02-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to biostarhater Send a message via Yahoo to biostarhater

Tom,

I wouls suggest not connecting the cdrom until you get it to recognize the hard drive, but when you do put the cdrom on the secondary ide as master.

Also, when your hard drive is master on the primary, you may not have to have the jumper on master.. Try taking the jumper off all together (single).

Hope this helps, but it seriously does sound like an all together mobo problem, but we're making progress!

E
http://www.ecwebtek.com

Closed Thread