good non-online place to buy computer parts? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Drizzt
Default Re: good non-online place to buy computer parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Circuit City still charges $500 for an 8800gtx
I said it's rare, lol. They sell alot of agp cards from what I see. One time I almost screamed when this one guy was telling a customer "Well... see here agp is 8x, which means it is 8x faster then any other slot on the market... blah blah blah..."

I wanted to break that over priced agp card over his head...

Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

yea if you aren't going to buy online it'd probably be best to get a prebuilt...besides microcenter/frys i've never heard of a store selling things like CPU's and Mobo...some electronic stores sell overpriced video cards..and a lot sell RAM(only because it's an easy upgrade)....someone please correct me if i'm wrong about the cpu thing

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

I haven't really seen many parts (at least enough parts to build a complete PC) in a store. I usually shop at Best Buy if I'm not buying on Newegg, and all they have are simple stuff like replacement hard drives, power supplies, optical drives, and RAM. I doubt you'll find motherboards and CPU's there, though they usually have a limited selection of overpriced graphics cards. Don't bother asking them for advice, because most people that work at these places are just trying to confuse you to buy more stuff at higher prices. Never buy a warranty with Best Buy's Geek Squad either, should that apply to you, because they don't know much of anything and took 6 tries to fix my computer (the motherboard went bad and wouldn't POST, they swapped it out with a mobo that had a defective Ethernet controller and a COMPAQ BIOS [it's an HP computer], and it took them a few more tries to fix that, and they also needlessly swapped my hard drive, just so they could try to fool me into buying a "data recovery" for a perfectly good drive). Of course, I was only like 12 back then so I didn't know much, if I were to repeat now, I would've laughed at the stupid person behind the counter, told him why I would not fall for his stupid marketing tricks, and carry my PC right out the door still broken. Then back up the hard drive and then take it back for repair. It's still not worth it though, replacement motherboards are cheap these days, at least equivalent to warranty prices.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Drizzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
I haven't really seen many parts (at least enough parts to build a complete PC) in a store. I usually shop at Best Buy if I'm not buying on Newegg, and all they have are simple stuff like replacement hard drives, power supplies, optical drives, and RAM. I doubt you'll find motherboards and CPU's there, though they usually have a limited selection of overpriced graphics cards. Don't bother asking them for advice, because most people that work at these places are just trying to confuse you to buy more stuff at higher prices. Never buy a warranty with Best Buy's Geek Squad either, should that apply to you, because they don't know much of anything and took 6 tries to fix my computer (the motherboard went bad and wouldn't POST, they swapped it out with a mobo that had a defective Ethernet controller and a COMPAQ BIOS [it's an HP computer], and it took them a few more tries to fix that, and they also needlessly swapped my hard drive, just so they could try to fool me into buying a "data recovery" for a perfectly good drive). Of course, I was only like 12 back then so I didn't know much, if I were to repeat now, I would've laughed at the stupid person behind the counter, told him why I would not fall for his stupid marketing tricks, and carry my PC right out the door still broken. Then back up the hard drive and then take it back for repair. It's still not worth it though, replacement motherboards are cheap these days, at least equivalent to warranty prices.
Sounds so much like my story with geek squad. Those *******s.... I was also around 12 or so. Sometimes I wonder how they get away with it, it's alot like stealing.
Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Old 07-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I live in montreal, the best stores that come to mind is staples future shop and best buy, thats about it

Closed Thread