Dark Fiber/Dry Lines. Building your own network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i3ond

Solid State Member
I've heard of people buying dark fiber or dry copper line to build a network. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience or any information on it.

I have a business out of the range of any highspeed internet, (except sat) and I would like to set up a network and hook it up to the internet. I would think the easyest way would to buy a dry line for a secuity system and turn it into a dsl line through a residential connection. But dark fiber is a option. Also I need a low latency connection so least amount of hops while surfing.

So what do you know about buying a dry line/dark fiber and setting it up to a isp?

Also, If the telco offers dsl, wouldn't a 3rd party like verizon be able to lease that line ? Also, would switching the dsl provider change how many hops you would have or latency?

The line I will be running will be roughly 6-8miles. The longest network i've done has been 1000ft so this is really new to me.

Thanks

You are most likely going to run into a massive financial wall in constructing such a network, the cable costs and the manpower alone without renting or buying the necessary telco equipment would make is some what unfeasable.

Are there any ISP's in your area looking to expand because if you go down the leased line option they might be willing to do it if you get some residential or commercial interest drummed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom