Could use some mobo advice. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to axiomflash
Default Could use some mobo advice.

hi, new guy here and i got a ton of help searching posts but now im stuck. im upgrading my PC so i am basically replacing the motherboard, processor, memory, and video card.

I decided to get an AMD 64, either 3000, 3200, or 3400. Haven't decided yet beacuse not sure if the price difference is worth it.

So I am looking for a decent motherboard that will support this processor. But, tons of questions arrise. I'd really appreciate your knowledge or opinions.
I am frugal, so I am not very interested in opinions that tell me its definitely worth the extra $1200 for such and such. I am on a budget of $500 MAX for processor mobo and memory if this helps.

I have been looking for an 800mhz fsb motherboard, is it worth it over a 400mhz fsb, or only for the sake of future upgrading?

I was planning on getting 939 pin parts, is it worth it?

I think I would like to get a motherboard that supports dual channel ram, is it worth it? (since I do alot of high ram graphics)

Most importantly, what motherboards would you recommend that would work for these processors and have dual channel ram support?

Or, do you know where I could search to find out what motherboards will work well. Any source I have looked at is always missing some fields of info and there appears to be no good way to search through motherboard features.

I really appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you!

Keith Guerin

Old 10-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to axiomflash

For example, the Abit AV8 Pro looks like a good fit, except the description just says "Dual DDR400" I don't know whether this means 2 RAM slots or dual channel.

Old 10-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If you want to be running Dual Channel DDR, you going to have to get a Socket 939 Chip. You will be spending more for a 939 chip than you would a Socket 754 at the same speeds. But you can pick up a Socket 939 AMD Althon 64 3000+ Retail for $215 or OEM for $179, at

I would definately recommend Abit for the motherboard, the AV8 is a great choice, it will run Dual Channel DDR400 in 2 pairs with four slots total. It lists at $111 on

For the Retail chip, and the motherboard, your looking at about $326, which leaves you $175 for ram, so you going to have to go with a cheaper set. Most would recommend Crucial as the way to go, but Kingston, is great, and I have heard good things about OCZ too. There is a lot to choose from, so you will have to compare prices, and look around. I personally would recommend that you pick up two sticks of 512MB Kingston Value Ram. There about $80 bucks a peice, and it might give you a little more money, to maybe pick up a AMD Athlon 3200+ instead of the 3000+. But its up to you, as you said you do a lot of heavy graphics editing, and it might be better if you picked up a more expensive set of ram.
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k
16GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Closed Thread