Completely At a Loss...Comp Noob needs help... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
View Poll Results: Hardware Zone Quiz #30: SCSI Devices
SCSI1 1 14.29%
SCSI0 5 71.43%
SCSI6 0 0%
SCSI7 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ebato
Lightbulb Completely At a Loss...Comp Noob needs help...

I have no Idea where to begin. My dad told me that if I want to make a computer that he will play for most of it if not all of it. So this is how it is. I have $500-600 more or less to create a computer of my own. I want to play games and I dont want it to constantly become overloaded like my VIAO right now. It's being really... ...right now and I've wanted to make a computer of my own for a while. The problem is that I have no idea where to begin. I know I want a fast processor and enough ram to make it fast because I'm tired of slow computers. Also I want pretty graphics and good sound. And a spacious hard drive won't be too bad. Basically I want to be able to play WarCraftIII without it being sloppy and choppy. I need help. I don't have any idea what anything is. What's good whats bad... whats worth it?...I have no clue. Someone's gotta help me out. Whenever I try to read reviews, they compare it with other things and say wierd confused ...everything is port this slot that...X-Force-Gn97V-Blood-ZC-2P5LDC-CRAP!!!. I need help or I'm gonna have to take years studying this...which I'll probably do... ..but I need a new computer plz help...THNX:beard: :amazed: :beard:

Old 06-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

If you want a computer like that than your gonna have to hit your dad up for more cash. After that, read a lot about computers. The more you read, the more you'll understand and the easier it will be for you.

R.Y.N.O. (Rip Ya a New One)
Diabolic Minotaur ATX Case
Asus A8V Deluxe MoBo Wifi Edition
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
2x Corsair 512MB PC3200 DIMM\'s
2x Western Digital 120GB Serial ATA Harddrives in RAID 0
Asus 16x DVD-rom Drive
Pioneer 16x DVD+rw/-rw DL Drive
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
Aspire 500w PSU
Old 06-05-2004, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

About how much more and read what? Reviews? Can't u guys just tell me what is good and necessary?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Mission

i think i can help you, because a maybe a month ago i was in your shoes, i read an article...ill look for it now
Old 06-06-2004, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

hmm, that was quick...first site on my google search, anyways, this is going to take dedication, and alot of reading, so read this:

i no it looks like alot, but it really isnt, just read 3-4 sections a day and absorb info. read that and you should be set on how to build one. also, if you dont no some of the terminology, go to:
OR good ol'

after you figure out what you have to do, start looking for products and prices. if your in the US, and are 2 of many for online shopping. if your in Canada, then is the only one i can think of off the top of my head. hope it helps, cause it helped me
Old 06-06-2004, 03:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

first step is really to choose the parts, you need:
CPU - does the thinking, but doesn't actually control the PC

Motherboard - central board where the internal parts get "plugged in"

Case - where everything gets put into (duh!)

Power supply - you'll need a fairly good one or you might burn out your parts

video card - generates graphics and sends the data to the monitor

sound card - generates sound and sends the data to the speakers

speakers - you know what they do

monitor - the "screen"

CD drives - most people get CD burners and/or DVD drives now

Hard Drive - the main storage memory

cooling - nowadays a necessity as parts are designed with more power and get hotter, you'd typically have a few case fans, a CPU heatsink and fan, and the power supply usually comes with a fan

Operating System - what Linux, Windows 2000, and Windows XP is

example PC
CPU: AMD Athlon XP

motherboard: Gigabyte "GA-7N400 Pro"

case: Antec SX635-II with 350W Power supply

video card: Radeon 9600 pro

sound card: use the onboard sound card of the GA-7N400 Pro

speakers: Juster 3D 601 (2.1)

monitor: Viewsonic E90 19"

CD drive: CDR/RW+DVD from Sony or LG

Hard Drive: Seagate 120GB SATA

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
Old 06-06-2004, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

well, that list comes to about $750 not including the OS and you forgot the main thing: MEMORY which would run about $120 for a gig, so we now have a total of over $850. Then theres perhaps another $50 for cooling (optional of course) that power supply is a little small in my opinion, so add another $40 for a 450 watt....he could get away with a 60 or 80 gig HD and that would lower it by about $60....

Are you confused yet (still) Ebato?

Edit: Ebato, if your Pops is going to shell out $600 I'm sure you can talk him into going for $1000. Use the argument that it would be an investment that would last you a good long time.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok. Lets make it easier on all of us. What is the best possible things I can get on a complete computer for 600-1000 buckaroos? I need opinions. E.g. This is good, that is bad, stay away from this company, stick with em, this is a great buy, this is rally worth it...that sort a thing. I need a place to start to compare things. Like I want to compare great with better not crappy with less crappy. Meanwhile I'm reading the site Mission told me about. Thnx guys for the help.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

well i would say stay away from companies like HP, Compaq, gateway, Sony, etc..only because to me they dont make decent computers, i find them all sh!t...use online shopping to find out whats good and whats not, usually the more expensive is good..unfortnuatly
Old 06-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2500+

Memory: Geil 512MB Dual Channel Kit (2x256) PC3200

Hard Drive: 80GB Western Digital S-ATA

Video Card: 9600 XT (Unless you can find a 9700 Pro for cheap)

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S or AN7

CDRW/DVD: Depends on what you want, you can get a decent combo drive, which burns CD's and plays DVD's for around $50-$60

Case: This is also up to you

Power Supply: You want atleast 350 Watts, which is plenty, just get a decent power supply.

Closed Thread