cd drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default cd drives

If I want to be able to copy cds and dvds and watch dvds and play games and listen to cds then what drives will I need? I want to get the best ones as they don't really cost very much.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

To do all that alls you will need is a DVD-RW.

Dvd burners can copy DVDS and CDS. And can be used as a CD ROM.

If you want to play games and listen to cds at once your best bet is to get a DVD-RW and a seperate CD-ROM.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by -AnGuiSh-
To do all that alls you will need is a DVD-RW.

Dvd burners can copy DVDS and CDS. And can be used as a CD ROM.

If you want to play games and listen to cds at once your best bet is to get a DVD-RW and a seperate CD-ROM.
eh never though aobut listen to seperate music while playing a game. and its in my room so I can just put my stereo on. But with the dvd burner be as fast as 52x/32/52 cd rom drive? And what dvd burner should I get?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

It won't be as fast as the mentioned specs, but you won't be able to notice the difference... I have a 8x NEC DVD-RW drive which works perfect for all the things you mentioned..It has a 32x CD-RW drive and still records a cd in about 4 minutes. If you want those extra two minutes saved for recording normal CD-R's than I would do two seperate drives..Even right now a 4X DVD-RW drive is pretty cheap and is dominant in media..if you get an 8xDVD-RW drive you really can't take advantage of it as 8x media is very expensive and hard to find.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

also just to clarify I couldnt tell is you were asking the CD-R write speed was going to be the same as a 52X drive or the DVD write speed... Basically its like this

A 4x drive will record a full 4.7GB DVD in about 10 minutes
A 52x CDR-W drive will record a full 700MB CD-R in about 3 minutes.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Win2kpatcher
also just to clarify I couldnt tell is you were asking the CD-R write speed was going to be the same as a 52X drive or the DVD write speed... Basically its like this

A 4x drive will record a full 4.7GB DVD in about 10 minutes
A 52x CDR-W drive will record a full 700MB CD-R in about 3 minutes.
ok I have cd burner downstairs thats will do 52x so that doesn't really matter. So I will just get a dvd burner, but which one so I can have the best performance on games and dvds and copy dvds the fastest? Isn't there 16x dvd burners?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

No applications that I know of need to use the full 52x of a CD-ROM drive anyway.
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Old 07-22-2004, 02:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by GameGURU
No applications that I know of need to use the full 52x of a CD-ROM drive anyway.
k so whats the best dvd burner I should get?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

yep 16x's are out but really a waste of money at this point in time due to the lack of media available...I would recommend maybe a 12x if you're looking for something quick...I have a plextor drive here at work which kicks ***! it is a plextor Model: PX-712A/SW...this would be a good single drive for you as you burn a dvd+ disc in 12x mode or a DVD- disc in 8x mode and have a *****in CD-R speed of 48X...you would not be dissapointed with it, but it is expensive
Old 07-22-2004, 02:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Win2kpatcher
yep 16x's are out but really a waste of money at this point in time due to the lack of media available...I would recommend maybe a 12x if you're looking for something quick...I have a plextor drive here at work which kicks ***! it is a plextor Model: PX-712A/SW...this would be a good single drive for you as you burn a dvd+ disc in 12x mode or a DVD- disc in 8x mode and have a *****in CD-R speed of 48X...you would not be dissapointed with it, but it is expensive
woah you arent kidding me. I had know Idead they cost that much. I'm actually thinking now that I havnt gotten this far without ever needing to copy dvds so I really don't think i need a dvd burner. Didn't know they were that expensive. But I do need a dvd player. So whats the best for that? A 16x dvd drive?

Closed Thread