Boot record not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

seCuredData

Baseband Member
Hey I am trying to finish up this system and slap an os on it, but the devices aren't being detected. Once it gets past System Logo and Bios Menu it goes through starting what devices the bios tells it and it gives me the following:
"
Searching for boot record from Floppy... Not Found
Searching for boot record from CD/DVD-0... Not Found
Boot Failure
Insert media in floppy and press key to continue
(Inserted Media) (Pressed key)
Searching for boot record from Floppy... Not Found
Searching for boot record from CD/DVD-0... Not Found
Boot Failure
Insert media in floppy and press key to continue
"
There is currently no Harddisk, because I know the Master Boot Record on it is corrupt and needs to be restored, But I have no working media devices to restore it.

But when I do attach the harddisk to the system, it boots into it, and then continues to a screen with a blinking cursor on the left top of the moniter.

System specs are:
PCChips M825LU V7.2 C
PMI 256 MB PC-266 RAM
Onboad ProSavage8 32mb(shared)
AMD Duron 1.4 Ghz
NEC Floppy Drive
40x CD-ROM
Rhycom 450W P4 Power Supply

btw should this post be put in software or hardware?

Yeah right now its using the Bios for boot record, thats the problem, there is media in the devices and yet nothing. I've reset the CMOS already. But whats odd is before that it was telling me that it was getting a CMOS Checksum error, it went away after I reseated the battery and reset the bios.

No its partitions were deleted and pulled from another machine. I was hoping I could repair its MBR using this machine, but its telling me it can't find a boot record for anything listed in the bios device order. The floppy and CDROM start up, and the Hard drive spins, and they are all detected, just no boot record.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Has anyone ever experienced this problem before? The bios boot sequence is like this:

Floppy
CDROM/DVD-0
IDE-0

It does boot into IDE-0 but only a blinking cursor appears. Could it be a problem with the CD and Floppy themselves, or with the motherboard?

You don't have to do that, thats just a duplicate post.

Anywho, have you tried booting that system with a drive that is functional? Make sure the errors are hard drive specific, that will help decide what to do next.

Sorry Holocron, I don't mean to waste space, just to get my anwser. But I've got my anwser, thanks for your help guys. It was actually a dead lens in both CD-ROMs... Who knew? Anyway I tried a third CD-ROM and it worked. The problem was the lens was not reading the media, and that meant to the bios there was no media, so a boot record was not found. Atleast those CD-ROM drives can make a good coaster. As for the floppy, I guess its old and wants to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom