Boot options - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2005, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Boot options

I have xp home on my laptop, i tried to upgrade to a copy of xp pro but it failed.
I'm now going to keep xp home as i sorted the problems i was having.

The problem is on boot there are now 2 boot options, one for xp home and one for the xp pro upgrade setup.
Unfortunately the default is to boot into the setup.

How can i remove the setup files from my laptop for xp pro and remove the boot option?

Old 05-28-2005, 03:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Go into bios and change it from first boot which sounds to be set on CD-ROM change it to Floppy, second should be HDD, and Third should be CD-ROM. Do a complete reformat. Stick the disk in and windows setup will format and install windows. Then your problem should be fixed. I said them backwords. First install the XP disk, setup will take you to format the drive. Install the OS. Then go into bios and change those items, but becareful dont change anything else.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

er no i think you misunderstand.

I have windows installed i don't want to reformat or re-install, i just want to take away the setup files from the windows xp pro failed install.

And no the bios does not boot from cd or floppy, it boots from the hd and the problem is that there is an extra boot option to continue with the failed xp pro install i tried earlier.

i know i can just reformat, but i don't want to, surely there is a way to just remove the boot option. e,g it says on startup.

and you have to choose, but i want to get rid of option 2. as it is default and i frequently forget and it goes through loads of startup crap to begin the setup of the upgrade which i no longer want.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

just reformat the partition it put xp pro onto, it shouldn't wipe any of what you had before the attempt to install xp pro(unless i misunderstood as well) use something like partition magic or fdisk
if it got messed up and they are on the same partition then you can try re-installing home over what you have right now, so all it would do is replace os files
Old 05-28-2005, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Boot up into Windows, and once on the desktop, right click 'My Computer', and select' Properties'. In the new window that comes up, click the 'Advanced' tab. In the Advanced window, click on the 'Settings' button under 'Startup and Recovering'.

Now, you'll see a line of text saying:
'To edit the startup options file manually, click Edit.'

Do so, and click the 'Edit' button next to it.

Notepad should pop up with lines of boot code. Just remove the line of code that refers to Windows XP Professional Setup.

Hope you get things sorted.
Closed Thread