Accessing Old Files - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2004, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Accessing Old Files

I have three hardrives that were previously in other older computers. One of the hdd's has Windows98 installed on it and the other two have other somewhat improtant files on them. I recently just built a new comp with a new hdd in it and installed Windows XP on it. When hooked up one of the old drives(w/OS) in place of my new hdd and booted up the comp I get a message that says "cannot find OS" or something like that. I kind of half expected something wouldn't work. So.... How do I access my old hdd, and the two hdd's without an OS, so I can put all my files on a disk to put on the new hdd? If it matters, I do plan on reformatting all three of the old hdds.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Wartorment

Make sure you set the jumpers up correctly,and that your XP partition is FAT32, because pre-XP OS's don't support NTFS.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to raj_1024

u can connect ur old hard drive to the new one but rember to remove the jumper of the old hard drive while connecting it and the new one should be the master and the jumper should be placed to the first pins from the left.
hi everybody
Closed Thread