XPS 420 Hardware/OS issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonid

Beta member
I recently bought a dell xps 420 and i have had nothing but problems with it since i got it. Its past the point of where i can return it because i was a day late on that option.

The system is horribly slow no matter how many times i reinstall the OS through formatting the partition and installing it again "I have Win/Vista Home Premium 32 bit". Everything opens slow from simple programs, diagnostic tools, control panel to web pages. Occasionally after long periods of the computer being on it seems my HD craps out on me and i can no longer open anything and have to restart. I get the following message "Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item"

Ive also added a 1gb stick of ram to my system, Ive been told that order or settings could determine whether your system performs better. I cant seem to find a simple guide for a novice like me.

Current specs:
Dell XPS 420 w/Vista 32bit Home Premium
0TP406 Motherboard Intel X38 Chip set
465GB Hitachi HD (Raid is enabled as well as indexing)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00Ghz / 332.5 Bus Speed / 1330.1 FSB
3.0GB to 3.5GB DDR2 RAM "I removed the 512 MB stick and left 3 1GB sticks.

DRAM Frequency 399.1
FSB : RAM 5:6
Cycle Time 18 clocks

Im looking for any tips and tricks to try before i have to send my whole computer back to dell to be refurbished if i must. I also considered trashing the DDR2 Ram and buying 2 pairs of DDR3 because my motherboard supports up to 8GB of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom