WD Elements 750Gb - fried.. new pcb, now wrong size - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default WD Elements 750Gb - fried.. new pcb, now wrong size

Afternoon all.

I have a WD Elements SE 750Gb external hdd - one of the newer ones that has a micro-usb connector that is mounted on the pcb, not an adapter to a sata drive. I had it plugged in the other day when starting the PC - there was a clicking noise that sounded like a key stuck on the keyboard.

I powered off the PC, removed everything and restarted - all good.. except the drive wouldn't read. It would power on but was not recognised within windows 7 as having been attached to the system.

The data is important so I went out and bought another drive the same as the first and swapped out the pcb (in doing so I noticed the original drive had a burn mark through one of the chips). the new pcb has allowed the drive to be recognized but now has two problems:

1. drive cannot be initialized in drive manager - error: drive is marked read-only
2. drive size shows up as 2048Gb

I'm hopeful that it's just down to a different firmware on the pcb. If this is the case, is there a way I can backup the current firmware, replace it to access the data, the re-flash it back to the original for use with the current new drive?

or am I barking up the wrong tree? any help, pointers is appreciated.

thanks Simon

Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: WD Elements 750Gb - fried.. new pcb, now wrong size

Hit up a Ubuntu Boot-CD. See if Linux can read it, if so, back it up.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks MindoverMaster. tried a Knoppix 6.2 CD but it's not even picking up the drive. Any thoughts on a particular flavour of Ubuntu?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Any linux distro as of late should detect it. If not, your pcb could just be bad, not your drive.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks but no joy.

Might try picking up another unit as the one I grabbed had a manufacture date a few weeks before the bad one and the pcb might have been different.

If i have any joy with this I'll let the forum know.

regards

Simon

As it's an external drive, does anyone know where I might be able to match/translate a serial number against a manufacture date?
Closed Thread