USB hardware restarts computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgewoodzgimp13

Baseband Member
My girlfriend's computer is messed up pretty badly. It's an old compaq presario that had Windows ME and before she received it from a friend they upgrade to Windows XP. The problem is, she can't plug anything into her computer via USB cables. She'll connect her digital camera and when you power on the camera the computer restarts. Same thing happens to her iPod, and portable printer. I thought at first it was a USB issue so I bought a PCI card with 4 USB ports, no difference. I'm thinking perhaps some files are corrupt and could mess up the USB? Does Windows files have to do with it? Because if so I was thinking about reformating and installing a fresh copy of XP. If not it's most likely the motherboard huh? If the mobo needs to be replaced then I'm sure she will do that but she's not gonna have to spend a lot because she doesn't need a kick ass computer. Let me know guys. Thanks!

YOu kinda answered your own question. lol

Because if so I was thinking about reformating and installing a fresh copy of XP. If not it's most likely the motherboard huh?

Yes, do a freash install for XP. I had the same problem (w/o having computer retsart on a older comp) and the fresh os fixed it.

If that doesnt work, the mobo might be just to old, and might need replacing. If so give me info and ill find a good cheap replacement. :)

~Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom