Unkown items in device manager making pc break - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Unkown items in device manager making pc break

Hello there,
all of a sudden the sound has stopped working on my packard bell easynote e3/e5 laptop.
I've tried system restores from many different restore points, but it keeps saying it cant do it. No reason.. it just, cant do it.
Ive checked the device manager and it has 2 yellow exclmation marks in the sound and video section, both of which are listed as Unkown items.
When i try to uninstall/reinstall the items, i get a message saying the items were not intended for my platform and it quits installation.

Ive now tried getting both the new ac97 patch, and the one i used when it worked last time, both of which havnt done anything.

Ive had a couple of messages about winmm wmd's and kernel audio splitters but still no resolve.

Ive gone to the packarad bell website and downloaded the new respective patches, including the realtek audio driver and the realtek wmd update but still no sound.

This is disgusting, Ive been trying to fix it for 3 days solid.

Is there an ymore info i can give?! Does anyone know what I can do?

Oh and when i try to play videos, obviously the video plays fine, but just without sound. When I try and open volume control i get an error message saying theres no mixing device on the system so i should go to add hardware, but of course everytime i do that, it either says theres nothing wrong and doesnt fix anything, or it says theres something wrong but it wont fix it. Brilliant.

I will love whoever can help me out of this sticky situation!! :P

Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

Here are some audio drivers:

Wats the name or the specs of ur video controller?

P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 09-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!
Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

if those dont work, may sound alil harsh, but go and get a external usb hdd and back up all ur stuff on it, and reinstall whatever os u got on it. if that dont help, then theres a problem within the "hardware" and its not "software" related. oh, u can also go to add new hardware wizard, that sometimes works. what os u usin?
Listen to my music! and random/funny videos XD
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the links.. although the first one was too complicated for me, and the one i was looking for on the second seems to be a dead link :P
video controller? Im not sure what you mean but the display adapter is a Via/S3G Unichrome pro IGP.
And in the video controllers section, I have Legacy Video Capture Device, Media Control Devices, and Video Codecs.

Do they help at all? None of them have any yellow exclmation marks though. The thing is, sometimes when i boot up the laptop, there are no exclamation marks in the sound and video controllers section, but other times, there are. But even when there arn't any yellow icons, the sound still doesnt work and I get the same problem and messages..

and as for formatting.. I am getting quite tempted.. I seem to be running low on memory these days anyway :P

Thanking you for the help people!!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

is the audio turned up? i've ran into people who done this stupid mistake (no offence), also make sure it isnt muted

\"I may or may not have put a loaf of bread in the dish washer\"
\"Once you go white a trailer is in sight\"
Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh dear oh dear oh dear..

ok I just tried doing a complete format, since when has that not solved a problem??!
Anyway I still have the same problem. I've downloaded all the new drivers and still theres no sound. And when I try to open Volume Control it says there are no audio mixers installed.. but of course everytime I go to add new hardware it doesnt fix anything.

Any help on anything?? again?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh .. you have done the fresh install... have you install the VIA chipset driver right after the windows installation done. ^^

this one >
Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hello you :P
Ive had some trouble trying to figure out exactly what chipset i have, Via related.

And this link you give me seems to direct and.. focused
do you know something i dont know? Can one assume that this is the answer ive been looking for?? (is just checking befire he downloads)
Old 09-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Do you have all the latest windows updates?
Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey man,
yeh I've got every update apart from a internet explorer one, but im on firefox, so that should be ok.
This is madness.
i dont know if something seriously wrong has happened, as Ive just opened my folder of old drivers that I used to have before everything went bananas, and even these dont seem to be fixing anything.

Ive tried a few via video drivers, but im still getting choppyness while windows boots up.. ah man

Closed Thread