Tring to recover Windows.old

Is that so ? explain this to us again?
if his login profile is messed up he can use this link kf he wanted: User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Windows 7 Help Forums
Would be juts enough to fix it if any, he can reboot and grab whatever data he is needing.
Wouldn't even need to go through that entire guide - would just have to use the first part to enable the built-in admin account, and then copy data over rather than fixing the broken profile, since OP is going to reformat anyway. So like I said - fixing the old profile isn't really necessary ;).

Then if he needs to repair the os fully by reinstalling 7 "full fomat", not quck format.
It would knock out having to deal with live cds or any other recovery software.
That amount of time would take 1-2 hour, banking on the hard drive isn't messed up. :

It's going to take 1 - 2 hours regardless depending how much data there is to copy over. Using a LiveCD or hooking up to a separate computer would only add about 10 minutes, if that, of time to boot into the Live environment or hook up to a different computer. Would take about the same amount of time to boot into Safe Mode, enable the hidden Admin account, reboot, log into admin account, and then begin copying data.

So, like I said at the end of my post, it depends on which route the OP would like to go as either are viable options. As the saying goes, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

ok guys, I got to the point where I was able to install Windows, from taking out the HD from my laptop, turn it on, insert my recovery CD, insert back the driver in. BUT my driver is not recognized when it prompted me to choose which drive to install Windows to, my hard drive did not show up.....

It only showed CD Drive (D:) and Boot (X:)

Last edited:
ok guys, I got to the point where I was able to install Windows, from taking out the HD from my laptop, turn it on, insert my recovery CD, insert back the driver in. BUT my driver is not recognized when it prompted me to choose which drive to install Windows to, my hard drive did not show up.....

It only showed CD Drive (D:) and Boot (X:)

Did you forget to reinsert the hard drive after taking it out ?
If no please use hirens boot cd and scan the hard drive for bad sectors
Or use mini-xp built into hirens navigate to the device manager.
See if your hard drive shows up if it doesn't it may have died.
Some hard drives may come on, but if you don't hear the platters moving and vibrating its dead.

It only showed CD Drive (D: ) and Boot (X: )

Wait, so you removed the HDD, turned your laptop on, booted off of the disc, and then inserted your HDD?

You need to keep your HDD inserted the whole time, from when it's off to when you boot off of the CD.

Back
Top Bottom