takeing apart computer screen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default takeing apart computer screen

okay so i have a computer screen that has a huge fuzz to it...and i cant change it though my card or anything like that so i was wondering A) can i take it apart? B) how could i fix it C) would i need to discharge any electrons built up inside the screen case?

Old 07-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I don't know much about CRT repair but you being able to find exactly what one piece (capacitor etc) is causing the problem will not be likley. If anything you will have to order full boards to replace. I had a noisy View Sonic and on there website was actually a spot to order specific parts and even a service manual.

Not sure about the de-charging it. I know it can contain more than enough to kill you but I think that really only applies when it is on. I would just get a screw driver with a rubber handle and make contact between the + and - on all the caps.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do not try to take apart a CRT unless you REALLY know what you are doing, it can hold enough voltage to kill you even when it has been off for long periods of time.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I stand corrected.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

capacitors can store a lot of electicity after the thing is switched off. , , you touch that and your the one whos gonna need replacement parts
E6300 Core 2 Duo
2 Gbs OCZ PLatinum 800Mhz
250 Gb Western Digital
OCZ Modsteam 450W
7900GT Gainward
Flux Capacitor....SWEEEET
Closed Thread