SATA hard drive issues. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default SATA hard drive issues.

Recently, my PC gave out, causing me to think that I had somehow killed the motherboard. A friend and I took a look at it, got it running again, but had problems with the HD that I had installed, a 160gb SATA drive. Every time we tried to re-install Windows on this drive, we could complete the installation, but when I started it up and got to the black Windows screen with the blue loading bar, I would get a blue screen with a STOP error. I eventually gave up on that hard drive, and bought a new SATA, but I got the same result. After that, I tried an old IDE drive that I had floating around, and it worked without any problem at all. I'm not sure why SATAs are giving me such problems, and I'm not 100% this is a hardware issue. I've tried replacing the serial cables, I've tried installing new serial drivers, and I've tried messing with some settings in the BIOS (something I'm not too knowledgeable about), but other than that, I'm not sure what to do. If anyone has ever had a similar problem, I'd appreciate any input possible. I'm good with software, but when it comes to hardware issues like this, I'm working in the dark. Thank you in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

The error code that I got from the SATA drives is as follows: STOP 0x0000007b (0xF7A2B528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Old 01-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: SATA hard drive issues.

go into bios and make sure your drive settings are set to IDE mode or "default"

not sure what version of windows you are using
you may need a slipstreamed updated version
you may just need the sata drivers during install (serial drivers? read that, not sure what those were for)

Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've actually tried all of those things, sorry, I should've been more descriptive in my original post. I'm tried using Windows XP Media Center, Professional and Home Edition. And SATA drivers are what I meant when I said serial drivers. I'm not too great when it comes to drivers, either, heh.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ah, you are right...serial ata > sata
are you just using or connecting a cddrive and a harddrive? If so, disable all else in bios
Closed Thread