Ram or Mobo problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
I have a strange intermittent problem with my RAM, or (more likely) RAM slots on my motherboard. Basically, it is VERY touchy about if it will work or not. It can be fine one minute and then, if I move the PC usually, IÂ’ll get beeping noises and it wonÂ’t boot. If I go to my friendÂ’s house, I usually have to move the 2 - 512MB sticks around from slots 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 or vice-versa and itÂ’ll work again.

This last time though, nothing seemed to work. After 90 minutes of tearing my hair out I finally got it to recognize 1 stick of the 512 ram and boot. IÂ’ve tried the other stick in all the other slots, but it will only recognize the 1. After what I went through, IÂ’m scared to take the working stick out of slot 2 to mess around with it further. A semi-working PC is better than nothing I guess.

The board is an old Abit AT7, so IÂ’m thinking itÂ’s that. I canÂ’t see any bent pins or anything, what else can I look for? Will memtest diagnose a problem if itÂ’s not even registering the RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom