PSU makes noise and smells, everything works. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 12-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default PSU makes noise and smells, everything works.

The PC I built a few months ago is still working. I've enjoyed my machine for quite some time now and it saddens me to share that I have run into my first problem.

My PC still boots up and it still works fine. But when I boot up (and during the time my PC is on) my PSU makes weird noises from time to time. It's hard to explain what it sounds like but it sounds a bit like sparks or electricity. I also smelled something weird. The smell is quite strong but it's definitely not molten plastic or anything like that. There's no smoke. I guess it kind of smells like electricity or something? Don't know if that smells. First I thought my system had shorted (I suspected my own shoddy craftsmanship) but when I opened my tower I saw nothing was wrong. There was quite a bit of dust so I cleared that out as best I could and then rebooted. The problem persisted.

Then I discovered the source of the noise (the PSU) and I decided to move the box out of the tower so I could turn it upside down (still hooked up to everything) so I could see the bottom. I can't see anything wrong with it (nothing molten, not overheated, no sparks visible when it's running) but it does make a weird noise. As I said my PC does work but I'm afraid to keep it running for longer than a seconds because it might escalate and I don't want to risk my relatively new hardware.

There are no sparks or anything like that visible (even with the lights turned off in the room, there was nothing like that visible. I suspect some wire may be lose in the PSU or something like that. I'm kind of reluctant to unhook the PSU because then I have to fix the wiring back later (and it's been a while since I did the wiring so...).

Does anyone have an idea what it might be? PSU is the Corsair TX650. 4 and a half months old.

Major Rawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: PSU makes noise and smells, everything works.

sounds like a faulty fan, probably the bearings wearing out prematurely, contact Corsair and RMA it, sorry to say it, but I think you're going to have to redo your wiring, I know how much effort it takes
Spartan109 is offline   Reply With Quote