ps/mobo problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default ps/mobo problems

My PC is experiencing some very strange power issues. For one, when the computer is running, if anything is plugged into the backplane (USB 1.0/2.0, IEEE 1394) it immediately shuts off. Following this, I have to give the machine at least 10 minutes to dissipate charge before it will start up again. I've already tried switching outlets and power cables. The only things I have plugged in the backplane are an old serial mouse, a PS2 keyboard, 1 Firewire device, and a standard VGA monitor. Any ideas what is causing this / how to fix it?

Old 08-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Tox1cThreat

What do you have in your comptuer?

Let us know what the wattage on the PSU is..

Old 08-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Power Supply:
Turbolink LC-A350 PSU (350 W)
Abit IC7-G
P4 2.8 GHz w/ HT
2 Western Digital 250 GB HDs
2 GB Fast DRAM
Generic ethernet card, onboard Realtek Audio, Digidesign Digi 002 Digital Firewire Mixer, Linksys Wireless card

I would list the video card but I don't remember it offhand and since I can't boot I can't look it up with Windows.

This machine was working fine the past 8 months, this power problem just started last night.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Addition to an old post:
The motherboard is receiving power (its status light is on), but the rest of the hardware isn't turned on when the computer's main power button is pressed. The LED fans and such will briefly light up and then appear unpowered.
Closed Thread