Possible hardware lag - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Possible hardware lag

My computer was having issues just loading the OS. I brought it to my "mechanic" (see what I did there?) who confirmed my suspicion that the HDD was failing. I got a new HDD and loaded windows xp on it. The system does fine for browsing, now, but it lags terribly when I try to play an online game. The game is Silkroad Online. The minimum system requirements can be found here: http://sro.mmosite.com/gameinfo/system_req.shtml

My computer is approximately 3-4 years old. Since it is having problems just on games, I am thinking the graphics card is dying. However, the tech said everything was running smoothly. The system specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus M2N Rev. 1
Processor: AMD Athlon x2 6000+
RAM: 2GB ( forgot specifics)
GPU: PNY NVidia 8500GT

As you can see, it surpasses the recommended system reqs. Any ideas?

Draco

Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Possible hardware lag

If it's lagging when playing an online game then it could be a problem with your internet connection.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
If it's lagging when playing an online game then it could be a problem with your internet connection.
That is unlikely since my other computer never has any problems. Its a much more powerful machine, though.

The big concern is that if I have a faulty gpu, I am out of luck. The M2N uses the original PCI-E and I don't think any cards are still around that use it.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Draco
Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Could be too many programs running in the background, toning down performance.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Could be too many programs running in the background, toning down performance.
I suppose that is possible, but it is a brand new install of the OS. The game is the only thing on the HDD.

-Draco
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

You can double check by going into the start menu.
Run... > msconfig > startup tab

I think Windows likes ninja adding bloatware.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 09-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
You can double check by going into the start menu.
Run... > msconfig > startup tab

I think Windows likes ninja adding bloatware.
Yes, Roark, I did that and looked up several lists of essential services for windows xp. I will do some further troubleshooting when I get home from work. I am going to check for tears in my Ethernet cord. It is a 50ft. that stretches from my office to my living room. I guess the next step after that would be checking my old computer's port against my new one that I know works? I'll post again when I have those results. Please post any other useful tips in the interim. ^^

-Draco
Old 09-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

the newer versions of PCI-e are backwards compatible. Take the GPU out of your other machine and pop it in this guy, see if it fixes the problem. If it does then there ya go.

Also does it lag just when you're playing games, or is it any type of gpu/cpu intensive task that causes it to lag?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
the newer versions of PCI-e are backwards compatible. Take the GPU out of your other machine and pop it in this guy, see if it fixes the problem. If it does then there ya go.

Also does it lag just when you're playing games, or is it any type of gpu/cpu intensive task that causes it to lag?
I contacted Asus and they told me it is not backwards compatible. The technician said a pci-e 2.0 card is not compatible with my motherboard. Is he wrong? For instance, would a GTX 260 work with my mobo?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

The tech is wrong, sadly mistakenly wrong. Yes a gtx260 will work.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread