Pls help, craziest thing ive ever seen. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Pls help, craziest thing ive ever seen.

Hello. For months now i have been battling with my girlfriends computer. I've never seen anything like this. Her computer turns on but doesnt post, no display on monitor, heres where it gets funny. The Only way i can get it to post and display is to take the side panel off(the side the motherboard is attached to) and push in at the top, the back panel that the motherboard is attached to almost has to be cockeyed. So what i do is push in on the top of the panel so it bends a little, then power it up, it comes on but soon as i release pressure it freezes..... I have no clue what the cause of this is. Ive taken everything out and tried a different case, and still same thing. I'm about to just take it out back and let my SR40 take care of it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will attach some pictures to explain what i mean by twisting the panel, pushing top in and bottom out.

Thanks, stephan

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Pls help, craziest thing ive ever seen.

You are shorting it. Is this on standoffs?

__________________ Steam Account
Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

From the picture......... Yes... you can see them.

But it is a shorting. You need to take out the mobo andremove any extra stand8offs and reseat it.... But try booting with it out of the case.

You also have rust in the case.....
Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Looks like a bent motherboard tray, or it has not been properly inserted into the case. You should disconnect all cards from the motherboard (graphics card, etc) and try to get the motherboard tray to fit properly. You may also have to check if there are no unnecessary standoffs in the motherboard tray. You would have to remove the motherboard to check this or if you have to bend it straight.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Closed Thread