Status
Not open for further replies.

aescott

Beta member
Here's is what I have
Athlon XP 2500+
ASRock K7S8XE motherboard
1.5 GB of memory

My problem is that my computer will shut off unexpectly when ever I use or do the following:

-Use iTunes to rip a cd

-Use DVD decrypter to encode a movie that is already on my hard drive, the pc will shut down in the middle or near the of the procedure with no warning.

-Use a graphic progam to see the way a room will look after it is painted(Glidden Color Program) and use the magnify button

Use a map editor for a game (Sudden Strike II)

I've had the current configurations and hardware for about 2 years. This problem started about 3 months ago right after I updated the BIOS. I read that that I my motherboard should be capable of USB 2.0 which after the BIOS update it was. Unfortunately, my screen would freeze up and I would have to manually shut the pc off. That problem went away after I went back to the original BIOS version (I still have USB 2.0 working), but was replaced with my new problem replaced it

I reloaded my pc and with only XP installed and tried to see if I could encode a movie. It shut off again. I am stuck. The pc works fine otherwise. My power supply is about 1 year old and is 425 watts. One other thing, when the pc shuts off unexpectely, to get it back on, I have to unplug the power cord for about 10 seconds (I use the light from my mouse to determine when it is ready).

There are no indication of any problems in the event viewer or when the pc starts back up. No error messages.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 39
im no expert but 73c looks quite warm for a cpu - was that screenshot taken when the pc was idle or after doing some stuff with it. if it is 73c idle then you may have a problem with overheating. however i've never used an athlon xp so this maybe its normal running temp.

perhaps someone else here knows a bit more about athlon xp processors.

that is VERY hot for a CPU. that would be too hot, even for a prescott core. check that the CPU fan is running, and that the heatsink is free from dust.

Yep she's overheating and shutting down. You need to clean your hsf and or buy a new one. Make sure all your fan's are working and if you don't have any install a case fan or two. The socket A's run hot but don't run any thing system intensive until you get it worked out It should idle in the high 40's to low 50's. The Socket A's do idle hot like I said but handle load very well. And if you keep running it at these temps it will fry it or the motherboard.

You guys were right on target!! I removed the cpu fan and could barely see the heatsink. After removing the dust build up, I am not having any more problems. The CPU temp is in the high 40's and that's after running my DVD program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom