NO SLI MODE?!!!! WTFFFFF!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default NO SLI MODE?!!!! WTFFFFF!!!

I just got my 480s today, installed them, installed the drivers from the cd (didn't have internets for a little bit) then did a restart. After the restart a little tooltip poped up saying something about enabling SLI, so I clicked it and it opened the Nvidia control panel.
I hit the 'enable SLI' button and clicked apply...then it froze. So I restarted, and bam no SLI options.

WTF!

I just uninstalled both cards and reinstalled them one at a time (full boot and proper shut down between each card) and still no options.
Right now I'm downloading the latest drivers from nvidia's website, but in case that doesn't solve the problem I'm posting here.
Ideas?

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: NO SLI MODE?!!!! WTFFFFF!!!

driversweeper (or another like it)>remove cards>reinsert>reinstall drivers>_________??

Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Google it, im sure you arnt the only person who has had this problem, i have Faith that you will get this fixed. im sorry this is happening tho, sucks to be excited about something and hit speed bumps along the way.
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

One thing I forgot to mention. The tooltip thing only popped up when I didn't have any SLI bridge installed. After the shutdown I put the bridge on the cards, and from then on it didn't work.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to SLIing, having never done it before. Is an SLI bridge even needed? The Nvidia control panel was going to let me enable SLI *without* one. And *with* one, the SLI option has disappeared.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

remove the bridge and try the nvidia control panel. if that don't work then do what I said above to see if it "resets" the sli state.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Make sure both cards are fully seated. Check for any obstruction that maybe preventing one of your cards from fully seating.

I've also had issues with the Realtek Network Adapter Drivers conflicting with the Forceware drivers. Try rolling the Realtek Drivers back to the original Win7 drivers.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

When you said it froze after you clicked apply, did it freeze for a really long time?...or did you restart right after?

I remember whenever I enable SLI on my cards it takes around 10 seconds more or less to set in. After I click apply, it would freeze for a couple seconds, screen goes blank for a sec, maybe some flicker, and then it's enabled.

SLI can run without the bridge but the performance will decrease, or won't be optimal.

To add to remixedcat:

Uninstall drivers from add/remove > restart and boot into safe mode > then use driversweeper to clean the remainder of the drivers > restart to normal and install latest drivers.

I do this every time whenever installing drivers and it never fails.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

meant to add the stuff you did thanks b1
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Ok, done the uninstall/driversweep/reinstall. No change.

Here's a thought though, what if having the bridge connecting the cards automatically enables SLI mode? How would I check whether I'm running in SLI or not?

edit: shutdown, took out the bridge, still no change. I think I'll do the above again, but without the bridge this time.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

yes please do that and see what happens without the bridge. that is so annoying. I hope NV has a fix if this is a driver related issue!

Closed Thread