need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillsy21

Solid State Member
Ok, this is the first computer ive built, so keep that in mind. Any help is greatly appreciated. i bought a new motherboard, ram, processor, gcard and i kept the same HD. All the hardware was correctly installed. When i first turned the computer on, i noticed the HD wasnt on master but on slave so i switched the prongs in the back until when i booted it said master. then it went through bios and i got to my password screen and after i put in my password then a window came up saying i need to register and activate XP. quit ****ed, i thought id switch the prongs again and maybe see if i could bypass that XP window. instead every time i boot up i get a "verifying DMI Pool Data......". then "Master Boot Record Error"

Uh yea. When you change Mobo you need to reactivate XP. This happens because you did not reformat and Reinstall or your other option to run a repair.

Pop in your windows XP Disc and run a repair.

set it back to master...thats normal to see windows activation, after you switch hardware out windows normally makes you reactivate it, so its normal...if you get MBR error even after switching it back to master, pop in the windows xp disk and hit r when it starts up to get into recovery console i believe...when in the dos prompt type FIXMBR and then type FIXBOOT just to be safe and restart and that should clear things up

it is back and recognising at master. is there anything i can do to get it back to my password screen like it was in the first place without getting this master boot record error? and my hard drive was from HP and i do not have the xp disk

Yea that Sucks.
I got a question for you.
Did you honestly think you could swap a crap load of components and Windows XP wouldn't freak out and go WTF!!!!
Call them and say you want to (Virus or whatever) reinstall and you need the disc. They probably charge ya.

Its more of an Upgrade. Cause you kept the Case, power supply Optical Drives and Harddrives.

But yea you still need that disc.

IMO, it will be less of hassle to aquire a real copy of XP, back up important information, reformat and reinstall.

yah ill have to get that disk.. but i still am left with a problem.. like i said when i first booted the computer up i got all the way to my password screen and the XP window.. but now i get "verifying DMI Pool Data......". then "Master Boot Record Error" and my hard drive is on master and my disk drive is on slave and cant even get past the first couple screens past boot up

Did you read the suggestion icantfly posted.
Once you get the disc youll boot off of it and goto the recovery console. You will then type fixmbr and hit enter.

But again, itll be easier if you back up the information and install a real copy of windows.
As the disc from HP will have some propreitary software on it. Itl also install the drivers for the original HP motherboard and Video card. Causing more problems.

yea if its those crap ones that have windows but half a million other programs on it from the vendor ur ****ed basically...like ste said right now it'd be easy to back everything up on another hd or somethin and get win xp and reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom