Mouse Caused Line Noise In Dial-up Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdgremsjr

Beta member
A friend came to me with problem with her dial-up connection dropping within minutes of her logging in to her acoount.

When the modem was dialing, I accidently moved the mouse and heard what I beileve was line noise. So I played with the mouse some more and the connection dropped. When I unplugged the mouse I did get a stable connection. So I came to the conclusion mouse was creating line noise and dumping the connection.

I did many things to try to correct the problem none of them worked. I tried moving the modem com port for 3 to 5, installing the Modem, Network, and video card drivers. I tried moving the modem to a new PCI slot, I changed modems, I thought that the PS/2 port might be bad so I tried it with a USB mouse. Changing the monitor's refresh rate, and unplugging the monitor from both the computer and the wall while the connection was dialing had no effect.

I have a theory, and would like some help. Could RF be leaking from the video card and interfering with the modem? Has anyone here even heard of this problem? Should I tell her she needs a new video card? Any help would be great.

Thanks
John

System Info:

Pentium II 333mhz 128meg of ram
Windows 98
Award Bios 8-06-98
S3 Trio64v+pc1(765) 2 meg video card
Smartlink 54k Modem
Sound Blaster 16 sound card

No not a wireless mouse. I used her old regular mouse, then a spare optical mouse I have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom