motherboard or PSU problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default motherboard or PSU problem?

Yes yes im new here, Hi

Anyway, my desktop is having problems with Windows 7. Im suspecting it to be either the PSU or motherboard.

2GB Corsair DDR2-800 RAM
Asus GTS 250
Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU

The PC was having problems installing Windows 7 where the screen would go to power saving and not come back on, with the PC freezing. After moving the HDD and installing it on another PC the same thing still happened in 7.

That didn't occur in safe mode, so I was able to install the graphics card driver but after that the PC would restart in windows 7 after 2-3minutes from loading. The restart is more like the PC lost power and turned off then turn itself back on 2-3 seconds later. The same restart type would occur if I saved my settings in the BIOS and the PC rebooted.

Things I have found out so far:

The problem occurs in the windows environment excluding safe mode

It isn't graphics card related, the old card was a HD 3850 which is running in a different system and works fine. The 3850 also had the same problem with the PC

Its not overheating, all temps are stable

Not the monitor, swapped with a working one and still happens

Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: motherboard or PSU problem?

Did you try loading a different operating system and see if that works??

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: motherboard or PSU problem?

yeah, they all had the same problem. I couldn't get past the installation stage without the monitor going black
Closed Thread