Intel Pentium D 3.2 (935) + Gigabyte 945GZM-S2 = B.S.O.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
My boss's computer......

4 weeks ago, I upgraded my boss's computer to a MSI P4M890M-L and a Pentium D 3.2 Ghz CPU. Over all he was not happy with this Motherboard as he fealt that it was every thing was running slower that was it did with in previous Intel D865GSA Motherboard with Pentium D 3.0 Ghz CPU.
He learnt to put up with it as we were waiting for the MS Action Pack to come in.

2 weeks ago, MS Actionpack arrived. I changed the motherboard over to a Gigabyte 945GZM-S2 Rev 2.1 Motherboard. We put the Intel Pentium D 3.2 Ghz CPU in that motherboard, install Windows Vista Business. We had a lot of blue screens.
After changing Motherboard, RAM, Expansion Cards, Video Cards, Hard Drive, i felt that there might of been some thing up with the CPU. So I send the CPU off for RMA with intel.
IN the mean time, the computer is running fine with an Intel Pentium D 3.0.

Today, I got the replacement CPU from Intel. It was a new one. Installed it. Same problems with BlueScreens on start up.

Flashed the Bios Gigabyte 945GZM-S2 Rev 2.1 Motherboard from Version FA to FE. Same problem.
I managed to try to get this to boot up in safe mode, and the system freezes on crcdisk.sys.
I re-install the Intel Penitum D 3.0, and the computer works fine.

Any ideas on what could be going on with this box? I refuse to beleived that Intel that I got another faulty CPU in return.

sounds to me like Vista doesnt like Pentium D 3.2 Ghz and its refusing to get along. thats odd try installing xp pro to see if it continues (just to test it) giving u issues..ill get back to you

if thats the case, if u can get the cheapest core 2 duo to replace your pentium D. it should like it :p

sylwek said:
sounds to me like Vista doesnt like Pentium D 3.2 Ghz and its refusing to get along. thats odd try installing xp pro to see if it continues (just to test it) giving u issues..ill get back to you
We had the same simulare problems when installing Windows Xp Pro.

darksideleader said:
if thats the case, if u can get the cheapest core 2 duo to replace your pentium D. it should like it :p

We only just purchased the PD3.2 a little over a month back. We would like to get some more use out of it before going Core 2 Duo.

Currently I am testing this CPU on a Gigabyte 8I945PLGE-RH Motherboard to see if it's the CPU that is at fault.
And the end of the day, i really don't want to be using this motherboard as it's not Core2Duo ready. It finished installing with no problems. But as I posted, I do not want to use this motherboard.

Now where is for the scary thing. According to gigabyte's CPU support pages for this motherboard, i should be using BIOS FC for any Pentium D CPU. However I have been running BIOS version FA with a Pentium D 3.0 Ghz for about 2 weeks now.
I am going to see about Downgrading the BIOS on this thing, and see what does.

CPU Support List http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_List.aspx?ProductID=2425[

Harper said:

We only just purchased the PD3.2 a little over a month back. We would like to get some more use out of it before going Core 2 Duo.

Prices taken from newegg.com

Pentium D Presler 935 @ 3.2Ghz $143

Core 2 Duo e4300 $169

How come you upgraded from a 3.0 PD to a 3.2 PD? 200mhz is not a big difference especially when you talk about Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom